PDA

View Full Version : Transmission/Clutch/Starter

bear7343
04-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Worked two twelve hour days on the truck and thought I had it licked... until this afternoon...

Background: Several weeks ago I decided to get the old 88" Series III working again. The truck wouldn't start however and as one would expect when the vehicle sits for several years it needed a new battery. It also needed a new distributor cap and condensor. Parts changed and timing adjusted and she fired right up, however, the clutch wouldn't engage (Couldn't shift into gear).

As a result, I checked the master and slave clutch cylinders, master needed some adjustment (to get the peddle to have the proper height- not much though) and the line needed to be bled. Then I pulled the transmission to make sure the clutch wasn't rusted on. Everything appeared ok. Then put it back together looked in the transmission inspection opening and the throw out bearing was obviously pushing against the clutch plate. Again everything seemed good.

Then I went to start and nothing happened (heard a single thunk). Checked the leads to the battery and starter everything was good. tried to roll the engine over and couldn't... THE TRUCK IS IN GEAR. Checked the hi-low lever and overdrive lever. Everthing should have been ok. Transfer was in high, overdrive in, gear selector in neutral but the truck is still in gear. Checked all the inspection points and all gears look good.

Any ideas? So as a result, the truck would start last week but wouldn't go into gear. No it won't start and can't get out of gear.... I am befuddled... Is there something specific I should have done prior to reinstalling the tranny?

SafeAirOne
04-18-2010, 07:11 PM
I would expect that if something in the driveline is frozen solid and the transmission is in gear, all you'd hear is a "thunk" as the starter tries to spin the flywheel that is connected to a driveline that won't budge at all.

What happens when you put the transfer case in the neutral (center) position and engage the starter?

bear7343
04-18-2010, 08:24 PM
I suspected that it was possible that it was in gear as well. I put the transfer case in nuetral as well as the overdrive and the gear selector, tried it again. No dice. I pulled the starter in the hopes that the starter was somehow bound on flywheel. Removed the starter and the truck is still in gear.

Is it possible that even though the bell housing mounts up with the engine that the clutch plate is bound to the flywheel because the tranny is slightly canted (it doesn't appear to be, just curious if jacking the tranny slightly might fix it.)?

Herdsman2
05-22-2015, 06:35 PM
I know this is an older thread but i am having a very similiar issue and was wondering what youd did to correct the problem.