PDA

View Full Version : Trop Top Vent Orientation

shock
04-18-2010, 07:37 PM
I was looking at the vents in my tropical top today and am wondering if they are oriented correctly. Are the vent hinges supposed to be at the back or front of the opening? I assumed they should be towards the front so that hot air escapes out the vent toward the back. They're installed though to open so that air blows in from the front which makes me wonder where the air is supposed to go after it comes in.

In other words, do they open so that outside air comes in (hinge towards back) or so that inside air is sucked out (hinge towards front)?

Thanks!

-Scott

SafeAirOne
04-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Oh, don't worry--the excess air will escape from all the openings that the water comes in on rainy days :)

My vents open toward the front (hinged on the rear) on my 109.

jgkmmoore
04-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Vents on my '64 109 open same as yours, and same for me buds 88" trop top vents. You will be so very pleased they do, on the scorcher days. Marks response says it all, and you can open your side windows. DO NOT run with your tailgate open:nono:. The person on the same side as the exhaust exit will pass out first:nono:. Ask me how I know......:mad:
I live in Seattle, and haven't driven mine in the rain yet, because of past experience with British sports cars. They're 'water repellent' to a degree tho....I just think they shoulda made wipers on both sides of the windshield(front/back).:sly:
Best Regards-Jeff

Wander
04-18-2010, 11:36 PM
I always figured that's why Barbour coats are so well made-because their Land Rovers are so leaky!

shock
04-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like maybe I should stow an umbrella and galoshes if driving in the rain. :thumb-up:

stomper
04-19-2010, 11:52 AM
On my 66, the hinges are facing the rear of the hole. Sucks in lots of air this way, but the hatches don't stay open very well. Not to hijack the thread, but what are you using for a gasket to seal the hatch and the roof, when the hatch is closed? Mine are all gummy and nasty, but I don't think they make the new gaskets anymore.

shock
04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't have it in front of me right now, but do you mean this seal? (http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-5540&category=RovahFarm&maxhits=20&keywords=348678&go=GO!)

Andrew IIA
04-19-2010, 02:49 PM
On my 66, the hinges are facing the rear of the hole. Sucks in lots of air this way, but the hatches don't stay open very well. Not to hijack the thread, but what are you using for a gasket to seal the hatch and the roof, when the hatch is closed? Mine are all gummy and nasty, but I don't think they make the new gaskets anymore.

I have had to lube and work the latch gizmos a lot on my roof vents - then they work well (I used teflon spray).

stomper
04-20-2010, 06:12 AM
I can't tell for sure if that is the correct seal. I'm looking for the one that goes between the hatch and the base plate to seal it when the hatch is shut.

greenmeanie
04-20-2010, 10:51 AM
THe seal you speak of is NLA. You can make up a good replacement by buying the 3/8th" D shaped window/door seal stuff from ACE and gluing it in position. Drill the rivet in the hinge and replace it with a screw for easy access.

stomper
04-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I thought it was NLA, but I knew there was a solution. thanks for the info!