PDA

View Full Version : Is This Typical Frame Fit?

Bostonian1976
04-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Holes don't line up with the (RN) galv chassis on my new purchase - is that normal?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4532329514_9b1895014c_o.jpg

bear7343
04-18-2010, 08:26 PM
I put a Rover North chassis under my 73 88" fifteen years ago and everything lined up. By the way, its been 15 years, I never coated the galvanized frame and its still in perfect shape.

SafeAirOne
04-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Jason--Is the tub attached to the chassis or just sitting on it?

Bostonian1976
04-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Jason--Is the tub attached to the chassis or just sitting on it?

it's just sitting on it at the moment - he said he was going to drill holes in the tub to secure it so that I can get it home. do I not want him to do that?

SafeAirOne
04-18-2010, 08:48 PM
it's just sitting on it at the moment - he said he was going to drill holes in the tub to secure it so that I can get it home. do I not want him to do that?

I have plenty of cargo straps you can use. I wouldn't let him drill it.

Bostonian1976
04-18-2010, 08:52 PM
I have plenty of cargo straps you can use. I wouldn't let him drill it.

Thanks Mark.

I'm just concerned this thing going 50 down the highway with no bolts will lead to a headline like

"93 Northbound closed due to scattered Land Rover on highway"

You think some straps will do the trick? I'm not sure what I'd tie it to on the body...

SafeAirOne
04-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks Mark.

I'm just concerned this thing going 50 down the highway with no bolts will lead to a headline like "93 Northbound closed due to scattered Land Rover on highway"

Take Rte 3--That'll only make the small, local papers. ;)

HybridIIA
04-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes, this is normal. I had this problem when I rebuilt a '62 many years ago. I'm not sure of the exact year the tub mounting bracket locations changed, but an early IIA location is different than a III. However, I wouldn't have the current owner drill the holes for you. I'd wait until I got it home and made sure everything is aligned before drilling the holes.

Jim-ME
04-19-2010, 02:16 AM
When I put the "new" 59 tub on my 88 the holes didn't line up and I had to drill new ones. If I were to do it all over again I would have waited to drill the holes until the very last thing so that I could have done a better job getting the doors lined up. Where is your Rover now and where are you taking it? Which Rover is it? You could just bolt the rear of the tub to the frame and then try to hook a ratchet strap to the front of the tub at the top go around the frame with the other end and hook it to itself. If you use two straps one for each side you should be all set.
Jim

Jim-ME
04-19-2010, 02:55 AM
Sorry Jason I should have read your other post before I asked questions in this one. The other thing that dawned on me is, if you are going to put the new Rover on a car trailer I'd load it backwards to minimize the top catching air and trying to lift up. I may be thinking too hard here but it's just a thought.
Jim

siii8873
04-19-2010, 05:29 AM
I also had to drill new holes at this location on my frame replacement. It was an older tub not sure year that I put on. As noted above they did change these at some time.

Terrys
04-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Yes, It is normal. The Marsland chassis sre built for S3 tub mounting holes which are NOT the same as 2A. Don't drill them until you have everything lined up as the tub wll be too low.

Bostonian1976
04-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks all. I told him this am not to drill it. Jim it's in Manchester and is heading to Gilmanton NH

Bostonian1976
04-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Sorry Jason I should have read your other post before I asked questions in this one. The other thing that dawned on me is, if you are going to put the new Rover on a car trailer I'd load it backwards to minimize the top catching air and trying to lift up. I may be thinking too hard here but it's just a thought.
Jim

yeah that's the plan

I still can't picture where the strap would go on the front of the tub to secure everything down. Pulling down on the top would be too much pressure don't you think? (ie bent top)

TriedStone
04-19-2010, 08:57 AM
might want to load it on the trailer facing backwards. you wouldn't want wind catching the front of the top and lifting up on it regardless if its strapped or bolted. my$.02

Jim-ME
04-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Jason.
If you put a hook on the bulkhead behind the seats because there is a lip there to hook onto you should be able to go around the frame and tighten it up thus holding the one side down. Repeat on the other side and you should be OK. Sorry if I was confusing. Thats what I get for not being able to sleep and posting on the forum.
Jim

daveb
04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
I gotta say that if you have to ask how to tie the bed down, you might want to take someone with you that has a bit more of a clue. Don't want to damage anything or end up with parts embedded in the front end of some soccer-mom mobile. OTOH, have heard plenty of stories of folks who supposedly know what they are doing losing roof panels, wheels, etc on the motorway. So, I guess just carry on as you were...

TriedStone
04-19-2010, 11:57 AM
might want to load it on the trailer facing backwards. you wouldn't want wind catching the front of the top and lifting up on it regardless if its strapped or bolted. my$.02
guess i should have read all the post prior to inserting my $.02. I see that was already suggested, sorry Jim-ME and Bostonian1976. nothing like restating the obvious.

Jim-ME
04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
No harm done as far as I'm concerned. We are all just trying to look out for each other.
Jim

Bostonian1976
04-19-2010, 02:08 PM
I gotta say that if you have to ask how to tie the bed down, you might want to take someone with you that has a bit more of a clue. Don't want to damage anything or end up with parts embedded in the front end of some soccer-mom mobile. OTOH, have heard plenty of stories of folks who supposedly know what they are doing losing roof panels, wheels, etc on the motorway. So, I guess just carry on as you were...
It's not that I can't figure it out - just asking for advice from those that have done it.

I have my m416 trailer for the smaller parts and bits