PDA

View Full Version : IIA pieces of flare

shock
04-19-2010, 08:00 PM
For some reason I've been under the impression that my 1966 IIA brake lines have bubble flares. But after rooting around the forum I'm having some serious doubts. Could it be that there's a mix of flares by a previous owner? A couple of the lines are shot so of course, I want to get it right. Thanks.

-Scott

Bud
04-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Every Land Rover should have at least 23 pieces of flair. Bear in mind that this is not a requirement, we want you to want to show your flair. It is your choice if you want to do the minimum, but...

In all seriousness, all your flares should match. If they don't, then you're probably better off using the correct (new) parts and walking away with peace of mind.

gambrinus
04-19-2010, 09:18 PM
If you're mirror falls off, no big deal. If your seat wobbles, no big deal. Certain things you can "sort of" get right, other things WILL KILL YOU if you screw them up. If in doubt, go to a mechanic when dealing with your brakes.

RW

shock
04-19-2010, 09:31 PM
If you're mirror falls off, no big deal. If your seat wobbles, no big deal. Certain things you can "sort of" get right, other things WILL KILL YOU if you screw them up. If in doubt, go to a mechanic when dealing with your brakes.

RW

I appreciate the comment and I agree with the sentiment. I've done brakes on a vehicle before (and I'm still around). I'm just looking for clarification on what is the norm for a IIA.

4flattires
04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Bear in mind that this is not a requirement, we want you to want to show your flair.

Nice!

I got it :D

alaskajosh
04-19-2010, 11:26 PM
I think you want a double (not bubble) flare on everything. I can tell you first hand (due to a previous owner's mistake) that a single flare is NOT the ticket. But there is clearly a male/female thing going on inside the fittings contra-indicating a bubble flare.

Anyway, I did double flares throughout and expect to die of old age.

Kind regards, Josh

JackIIA
04-19-2010, 11:27 PM
sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays!

sorry, I couldn't resist, given the day.

shock
05-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Update: I decided that since a couple lines were shot I should replace all of them. I ordered a set of Automecs. They all have bubble flares. Hopefully this post helps someone in the future with the same question.

daveb
05-02-2010, 03:46 PM
really? post a pic. then a pic of the inside of one of your wheel clyinder ports.

the automec kits are questionable and don't always correspond to US model vehicles.

Update: I decided that since a couple lines were shot I should replace all of them. I ordered a set of Automecs. They all have bubble flares. Hopefully this post helps someone in the future with the same question.