PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Installation Question... I may be an idiot

bear7343
04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Pardon my ignorance but this may be a stupid question. Does the clutch disc get bolted to the pressure plate? I ask because I think I have screwed this up and now can't get the truck into gear. Here is my play by play. I did this once before but it was many years ago and I can't remember if I did it wrong then too, needless to say, the truck hasn't driven after either attempt.

After everything was removed I did the following.

Bolted the clutch disc to the pressure plate (using the three bolts on the perimeter of the pressure plate that have tabs on them)
Aligned the pressure plate/clutch disc assembly with the engine using the tool
Reconnected the transmission to the engine.
I believe this may be why the truck was stuck in gear. I believe the clutch disc is supposed to be mounted against the flywheel and held in place with the clutch tool. The pressure plate should then be bolted to the flywheel and once perfectly aligned snugged up. I do not believe I should have bolted the clutch disc to the pressure plate. I think it is now locked in place and can't function correctly.

Which sequence is correct? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Moose
04-19-2010, 08:51 PM
I believe the clutch disc is supposed to be mounted against the flywheel and held in place with the clutch tool. The pressure plate should then be bolted to the flywheel and once perfectly aligned snugged up.

That is the correct method. Clutch plate against the flywheel, pressure plate over that and bolted to the flywheel. Just remember to install the clutch plate the correct way around. It should be marked around the splines somewhere.

Brett