PDA

View Full Version : New Problem?

Jim-ME
04-20-2010, 10:34 AM
It started yesterday and happened again today. When I turn the key to the start position all electrical power dies and I get a click. The GPS which is plugged into an axillary fuse block which is direct wired to the battery terminal reports that it has lost power and is shutting off. I just removed and cleaned the battery terminals and re tightened them. It started right up. My concern is that is was too simple a fix. Could it be that the ignition switch is going south? Could it be the starter itself? My engine is a 2.5 NAD which had the petrol ignition switch adapted to the diesel. If it is important info I've used my old cold start (choke cable) light switch to turn on a relay to provide power to the glow plugs. If it happens again where do I start looking.
Jim

scott
04-20-2010, 10:46 AM
you say "start position" does your ig switch also engage the starter or do you still have a starter button. if your electrical stb when switch on and before engaging starter i suspect the switch, if it's after engaging the starter then maybe the starter is shorting out such that the battery is draining so fast the you're gps is reading no power

J.McKelvey
04-20-2010, 11:20 AM
I have this problem for time to time. It's a pretty simple fix. I check/clean the battery terminals but I also clean/check the solenoid and starter connections. Also check you ground to the frame. Sometimes this needs to be cleaned as well.

I had this problem with my S1 80" for a bit to and I just changed the cables and now it starts every time without any trouble.

If you check all those I bet you won't have a problem for a while.
Hope this helps

yorker
04-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Sounds pretty typical - how old is the battery? how are the connections on the starter?

Jim-ME
04-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Battery was new last winter. I do not have a starter button. It is a regular petrol ignition switch. 3 position off,run start. I may go to a starter button if my start position on my ignition switch is going bad. I should be all set because after cleaning the battery connections it has started no problem 3 times. Sometimes I don't believe that something simple is the answer to a repair. If I have further problems I'll dig deeper. Thanks to you all for your replies.
Jim

yorker
04-20-2010, 12:14 PM
In my experience, with Land Rovers and other cars cleaning the terminals and tightening the connections fixes that situation 85% of the time. You might want to double check the condition of your battery/ charging system just to assuage your concerns.