PDA

View Full Version : R380 transmission

Bostonian1976
04-20-2010, 02:31 PM
As this project progresses in my head, I'm thinking how I want to make this Rover much more driveable than my current limestone truck. I'm thinking parabolics, larger defender rims/tires, etc. How is the r380 5 speed? Is it a real solution to gearing concerns? What do they run pricewise? Thanks..

Jim-ME
04-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I have been down and am going down the same road. FWIW I think overdrives are a better more economical solution to driveability concerns than a 5 speed transmission because you can split gears which in my mind makes it more driveable. Based on what I have read an OD is ultimately less expensive than a 5 speed trans swap. New Roverdives are $1500-$1600 and used Faireys from England run in to $700 to $900 range shipped. I have heard pros and cons on both units. Unless I get a good Fairey I am leaning towards a Roverdrive because it shares oil with the transfercase and is not a seperate gear box which requires a separate maintenance schedule to keep track of. If I were able do afford either I would go with and plan to go with an OD; manufacturer yet to be determined.
Jim

Bostonian1976
04-20-2010, 03:20 PM
I have been down and am going down the same road. FWIW I think overdrives are a better more economical solution to driveability concerns than a 5 speed transmission because you can split gears which in my mind makes it more driveable. Based on what I have read an OD is ultimately less expensive than a 5 speed trans swap. New Roverdives are $1500-$1600 and used Faireys from England run in to $700 to $900 range shipped. I have heard pros and cons on both units. Unless I get a good Fairey I am leaning towards a Roverdrive because it shares oil with the transfercase and is not a seperate gear box which requires a separate maintenance schedule to keep track of. If I were able do afford either I would go with and plan to go with an OD; manufacturer yet to be determined.
Jim

thanks Jim. You're right - I like the Roverdrive idea because of ease of service....what do the R380's run? In the 2's?

redmondrover
04-20-2010, 03:55 PM
We paid a little under $2500 for an R380 from Ashcroft with a new clutch, delivered to Gord'ns shop in Seattle. We are also changing out the diffs to 3.54's.

scott
04-20-2010, 04:15 PM
what about the High Ratio Transfer Case Kit, better rpm reduction than an OD. means i might have to start using 1st gear to take off, doesn't mess with the low range and it's gotta cost less than an ashcroft

yorker
04-20-2010, 06:27 PM
what about the High Ratio Transfer Case Kit, better rpm reduction than an OD. means i might have to start using 1st gear to take off, doesn't mess with the low range and it's gotta cost less than an ashcroft

I don't think Bostonian is planning on a more powerful engine? If he is keeping the 2.25 all he really needs is a Roverdrive. The external OD is more versatile and probably less $ and hassle. Sometimes it is nice to be able to split gears too. :thumb-up:

robert wood
04-20-2010, 07:47 PM
The price of a new GII overdrive is actually only $1180 if you happen to live in North America. Ray

greenmeanie
04-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Ray,
Any idea how much the LT95 will cost? I have the high ratio transfer gears in my 101 but she could do with an overdrive.

I'm still building my 109 but my 101 needs a bit of love too.

robert wood
04-21-2010, 09:39 AM
The LT95 overdrive is moving through the pre-production stage driven by the need to have one on my early 110 before Robyn and I head for North Africa in October. We will probably make only 25 in the first batch and my guess is they will be about the same as other Defender units - US$1650 or so. Most of the interest is from Australia based on speculation that the Australian army will start selling off their ISUZU powered Parentie Land Rovers some time soon. Ray

greenmeanie
04-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Keep us posted when they become available. I could potentially have another 101 owner in town interested too.

Les Parker
04-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Our hosts may have a R380 and LT230 Tbox from a 300 Tdi conversion available for sale.
Any interest to anyone?