PDA

View Full Version : IIA Transmission / t-case Slop

Jamooche
04-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I just installed a Dusfold rebuilt transmission / t-case in my Series IIA. All seems to be working fine, except for a small amount of slop. This occurs during the relaxation period between shifting gears and also when you lift your foot off the gas to coast. Adding the gas back in picks up the slop and it clunks again.

The drive shaft u-joints seem ok and the rear 3rd member pinion seems to have normal free play. There is a small amount (2 inches) of free play off the rear output housing when you try and spin the transmission brake. I removed the rear drive shaft and drove it in 4WD HIGH with only the front drive shaft on. It did basically the same thing.

I took some iPhone videos to show some friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYor3AP0n80

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTbwD_6LXng

Some say to put the floor boards back in and just drive it that this little bit of play can be normal. Others say to maybe have something checked by someone who knows more.

Any additional insight on this?

Thanks,

Jamil

Les Parker
04-21-2010, 11:09 AM
I notice that you have an overdrive fitted.
Is the mainshaft nut set to the correct torque?

Jamooche
04-21-2010, 11:21 AM
I notice that you have an overdrive fitted.
Is the mainshaft nut set to the correct torque?

Could be that. I was thinking to removed the overdrive and put the stock cover on and see if that helps.

I had a hard time tightening the manshaft nut because even in gear and the parking brake really tight, it would spin the engine. Any tricks to tighten it more?

scott
04-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Could be that. I was thinking to removed the overdrive and put the stock cover on and see if that helps.

I had a hard time tightening the manshaft nut because even in gear and the parking brake really tight, it would spin the engine. Any tricks to tighten it more?

set the brake, put it in low range and reverse. i doubt you'll be able to turn the engine then

I Leak Oil
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM
With the overdrive there is no gear to connect the mainshaft with the transfer case when the OD is out. Put it in any gear you want and set the brake all day but it isn't going to help.

Get a wrench on the crank starting dog and brace it against the frame. Tighten the main shaft nut.

Jamooche
04-21-2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks!

Jamooche
04-21-2010, 12:51 PM
With the overdrive there is no gear to connect the mainshaft with the transfer case when the OD is out. Put it in any gear you want and set the brake all day but it isn't going to help.

Get a wrench on the crank starting dog and brace it against the frame. Tighten the main shaft nut.

I'll have to try that. Thanks!

I may see if there's slop between the OD and the t-case first by looking through the top cover.

Jamooche
04-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for everyone's help.

I removed the Fairey OD and put on the stock cover. When draining the Fairey oil, it was completely silver and the gears were all burned up looking. Clunk is gone with the stock cover. I only drove about 3 miles on it too.

I'll be buying a new Roverdrive to replace the Fairey.

If anyone wants a Fairey that needs rebuilt or a complete transmission / t-case / e-brake setup that needs some rebuilding contact me at jamilabbasy@jamilabbasy.com

Thanks!

SafeAirOne
04-27-2010, 12:12 PM
If anyone wants a Fairey that needs rebuilt or a complete transmission / t-case / e-brake setup that needs some rebuilding contact me at jamilabbasy@jamilabbasy.com

Thanks!

Where are you located?

Jamooche
04-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Where are you located?

Located near Springfield, MA

graniterover
04-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Located near Springfield, MA

I'll be out there this weekend Mark. If the two of you work something out, I can pick it up.

Jamooche
04-27-2010, 10:17 PM
I'll be out there this weekend Mark. If the two of you work something out, I can pick it up.

I won't be home this weekend, but could leave it outside for pickup.

FYI - no one has emailed me with any offers. I don't want a lot for them, but please feel free to shoot me any offers to my email.

onecross
04-27-2010, 11:05 PM
FYI the instructions Ray has on Roverdrive Gear Corporation web site for installing the Roverdrive has a great tip on tightening the main shaft nut in step 9:

http://www.roverdrives.com/images/9_rgsxins.jpg

I love my Roverdrive its a awesome unit!

Jamooche
04-27-2010, 11:26 PM
FYI the instructions Ray has on Roverdrive Gear Corporation web site for installing the Roverdrive has a great tip on tightening the main shaft nut in step 9:

I love my Roverdrive its a awesome unit!

Thanks. I found that too after I had the failure. I may have to fab something similar myself. With my winch bumper and winch, I can't get the starter handle on anymore. I may have it cut or find a larger wrench for the starter crank nut.

SafeAirOne
04-29-2010, 08:20 AM

I'm at my wife-enforced limit of projects right now. Thanks for the offer though.