PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp/Oil Pressure

utahseries
04-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Ok, i'm confused... I found a dual water temp/oil pressure gauge in my room of goodies, and I ordered a new oil line for it last night.. I was searching through the parts manual and I'm having a hard time finding out what the part # is for the water pipe?
Thanks!

LaneRover
04-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Ok, i'm confused... I found a dual water temp/oil pressure gauge in my room of goodies, and I ordered a new oil line for it last night.. I was searching through the parts manual and I'm having a hard time finding out what the part # is for the water pipe?
Thanks!

Wouldn't it be a wire? Or should I say, the temp sender with the wire that then goes back to the gauge?

SafeAirOne
04-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Honestly, I'm not familiar with the backside of the combo gauge, but it may be that it's a sealed capilary that goes to a temperature bulb (think "big mercury thermometer") like the gauge shown in the picture. The operative word here is sealed. The "water pipe" is part of the gauge. If it has been snipped off, you may have to have the gauge rebuilt and a new capilary attached/calibrated.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ProductImages/Large/RX1351OIL-WATER.jpg

amcordo
04-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't it be a wire? Or should I say, the temp sender with the wire that then goes back to the gauge?

Not necessarily. I think I have a mechanical one like he's talking about - has a tube that attaches the oil gauge to the engine and oil travels the tube and the pressure physically moves the gauge.

SafeAirOne
04-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Not necessarily. I think I have a mechanical one like he's talking about - has a tube that attaches the oil gauge to the engine and oil travels the tube and the pressure physically moves the gauge.

I believe that he's got the oil pressure sorted, but is wondering about the water temp side of the gauge, if I read the post correctly...

Bostonian1976
04-21-2010, 05:19 PM

that must be fun if/when the line fails. Hot oil bath!!

Jeff Aronson
04-21-2010, 05:48 PM
It has been a long time since I had mine repaired, but when the water temp side failed, I had to send it back through Rovers North to their source for repairs. When it was returned, it installed it (I think it goes into the heard) and it has worked fine ever since.

Jeff

utahseries
04-21-2010, 06:20 PM
It has been a long time since I had mine repaired, but when the water temp side failed, I had to send it back through Rovers North to their source for repairs. When it was returned, it installed it (I think it goes into the heard) and it has worked fine ever since.

Jeff

What was the cost of sending it back to RN? Granted it was a while ago? Because i'm 95% sure it has a threaded hole for the water? Oh, and it is the gauge with the Land Rover logo in the middle of it... If that helps?

jac04
04-21-2010, 07:07 PM
The mechanical water temperature side of the gauge needs to be rebuilt by a professional. Send it to Nisonger Instruments (www.nisonger.com) and it will come back like new. That's what I did on the mechanical dual water/oil temp gauge for the '63 I restored.

utahseries
04-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I pulled it out last night and it needs to be rebuilt :( haha... How much did it cost and how long did it take?

Jim-ME
04-22-2010, 11:42 AM
If you call Nisonger they can answer your questions about cost and time etc. I have dealt with them and found them very good to deal with. New gauges come up on Ebay from time to time. The last time I looked a new one from BP was over $200. Jason is correct about the hot oil bath which is why I used a braided SS line when I installed mine.
Jim

amcordo
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
+1 on the hot oil bath hint. DEFINATELY use strong piping for a mechanical gauge that involves any hot liquids. The oil gauge I had was starting to leak. Didn't spray everywhere or anything, but it leaked fast and imagine oil pooling up around old rover wiring...

That's about the moment I decided to go all electrical with my gauges.

Jim-ME
04-22-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm still kind of old school about gauges as I was brought up to think electrical gauges are glorified idiot lights. I will admit that I was going to convert to electric oil pressure and use the temp gauge in the cluster for water temp but Matt B. convinced me to use my dual mechanical gauge when I switched out engines and I didn't argue. So far so good.
Jim

Donnie
04-22-2010, 05:28 PM
The oel screws off , but the h2o is a capillary tube.........Like the one shown in another photo