PDA

View Full Version : cleaning gas tanks and leaks!

glbft1
04-21-2010, 06:57 PM
going to drop my mil tank and have it cleaned, it has had gas in it for god knows how long, can i have this steam cleaned by a radiator shop and install or is there a sealer i need to put on the inside??( its has rust but no leaks old crap gas and water I assume) other mil tank is weeping on the bolt in the bottom is this a seal/gasket issue any sealers out there I can apply to stop wet spot??
Thanks all
greg

greenmeanie
04-21-2010, 07:12 PM
If you are goign to the expense of having the tank boiled out then just have them dump a can of sealer in there once they are done. If isn't leaking now it will at some point so why do a job twice. Same trick will work for the leaky tank.

glbft1
04-21-2010, 07:17 PM
what type of sealer? is it just dump in and slosh around:D or is there a process and whats the best stuff to use
Thanks all

Rineheitzgabot
04-21-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't know who is doing the work for you, but it better be free, as with the cost of the cleaning and (I think there is a product called, "Milk-Kote") sealer, you are probably able to pay for half of a new fuel tank. I may not know what I am talking about here, and I don't feel like researching tank prices. If I remember correctly, they go for slightly less than $300? If it were me, I would spring for the new one.

Wander
04-21-2010, 09:35 PM
I had mine steamed and sealed by a local radiator shop-they charged me $80. It helped that I dropped the tank and took it too them, I don't think that happens very often.

Lalo88DK
04-22-2010, 01:12 AM
The military under seat filling fuel tank cost 399$ or more than twice as much a standard fuel tank, (in Europe the mili-fuel-tank is very difficult to get hold, nearly always out of stock). So I think that I would have it steam cleaned and sealed.
I have two of them on my Series III SWB, so I'm going to change them for the standard tank/filler, when they eventually start leaking.

glbft1
04-22-2010, 06:57 AM
going to drop the tanks and take them to the shop, going to charge me 100.00 a tank and I'll buy the sealer, this way I have beer money :D
Is Por-15 a good product or is milk kote better?
Steen
killer web-site makes me want to go to denmark and meet other rover folk! If you ever come to the U.S look us up in maine!

Wander
04-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Ask the shop what they normally use so that you get something they are familiar with-unless you ment that you are going to do the sealer part.

Lalo88DK
04-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Steen
killer web-site makes me want to go to denmark and meet other rover folk! If you ever come to the U.S look us up in maine!

Thanks
I'd love to come to the US and meet up with some Land Rover owners some day :)

gudjeon
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Red-Kote is the stuff. I used a quart and sloshed it around for a few days. It does need to be clean and free of any moisture. If its going to the rad shop anyhow, get it done there. If I had to do it again, I would get them to do it.

Jamooche
04-27-2010, 11:56 AM
My gas tank was leaking a several of the seams. I used the Por-15 gas tank sealer kit on my IIA tank about 3 years ago:

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/FTRK/

It worked perfectly. DON"T FORGET TO TAKE THE DRAIN PLUG OUT before you do the last step. Mine is bonded in, which doesn't really matter since I can always siphon out the fuel from the top if needed.

I also coated the outside of the tank with the standard Por-15 paint.