PDA

View Full Version : Ser III Park Brake design

TJR
04-21-2010, 10:02 PM
I assume the Ser III Parking brake is similar in design to the prior series rigs, but as I'm cleaning my up for paint I can't beleive how much engineering and quailty went into this typically simple contraption. My rear axle shaft may snap, or my frame rust out, but the PBrake will survive 37+ years w/o ever being touched.

All the "bits and bobs" are from an era we'll probably never see again.. Solid cross bar. bronze (not plastic) self aligning bushings with felt seals, 1/4 thick pawl plate, solid cast bell crank, Thick frame brackets, one is CAD plated. spring loaded cross pins.. Amazing.. and seemingly over engineered.

I guess the bean counters never had a chance to push engineering/manufacturing to design the cost out of that linkage.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/88seriesiii/LR_PBrake/20100421002.jpg

bmohan55
04-22-2010, 07:48 AM
and all it takes is a leakey $4.00 transfer case output seal to make it all worthless...

JackIIA
04-22-2010, 08:59 AM
i was thinking the same thing!

TJR
04-23-2010, 08:53 AM
and all it takes is a leakey $4.00 transfer case output seal to make it all worthless...

The same oil has also kept all the parts well preserved.. :thumb-up:

daveb
04-23-2010, 09:54 AM
I have to admit that I have yet to have a handbrake fail due to oil soakage. There is still enough surface area there that combined with the multiplication through the differential, there is plenty of holding power.

If your handbrake won't hold the vehicle, it is simply not adjusted correctly.

I Leak Oil
04-23-2010, 12:59 PM
For the most part series trucks are just so simple. But why all that linkage and hardware when a simple cable would have sufficed? Could never figure that out.:confused:

daveb
04-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Clearly due to the power and influence of the Linkage Guild.

For the most part series trucks are just so simple. But why all that linkage and hardware when a simple cable would have sufficed? Could never figure that out.:confused:

I Leak Oil
04-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Ah yes, you are right. It's the same guild that had their dirty hands in the throttle and hand throttle linkage debacle of the late 40's. It's all so clear now.

SafeAirOne
04-23-2010, 05:02 PM

I think it goes back to a time when things were manufactured to last more than 5 years. Or...maybe I'm cynical because the clutch cable just snapped on my piece-of-junk backup car that I didn't want to have to spend any money on.

cgalpin
05-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Yup the IIA is very similar. Here are pictures of mine cleaned up

http://myotherwoman.com/?p=34