PDA

View Full Version : Fuel feed pipe

utahseries
04-25-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm posting up here alot lately! When I got my 2.25 to swap into my 86" it wasn't very complete, and the newest issue I have come across is the fuel line from the tank to the pump. The nylon pipe i have is female to female, but I need a male connection to hook it up to the pump. Better yet, the parts manual is a circus! :D Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about trying to find the male end I'm looking for and having the local hose shop fab up a new nylon pipe with the right ends.

KingSlug
04-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Cut off the nylon, remake the pipe with rubber fuel hose then add the male connector.

Jared

utahseries
04-25-2010, 06:21 PM
what is the part # for the male connector? I need to find one, and that is the biggest part of the problem!

utahseries
04-25-2010, 06:23 PM
is is BSF? or do I stand a chance of just taking the pump to the hose place and they'll have one that'll fit?

KingSlug
04-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Right off I dont know, but I am sure someone around here does or has a spare in their parts bin. Its the standard 2.25 fuel pump right? On mine it just has a couple of female connectors with metal hard lines about 3" long on the in/out of the fuel pump, which are tied to rubber hoses with banjo clamps.

Our hosts have fuel lines, you might call them up and ask them.

Jared

scott
04-25-2010, 08:40 PM
i'm pretty sure i found mine at lowe's. it's a female threaded to a 1/4" barbed that i got threaded on the pick up tube.

TriedStone
04-26-2010, 07:04 AM
I'm posting up here alot lately! When I got my 2.25 to swap into my 86" it wasn't very complete, and the newest issue I have come across is the fuel line from the tank to the pump. The nylon pipe i have is female to female, but I need a male connection to hook it up to the pump. Better yet, the parts manual is a circus! :D Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about trying to find the male end I'm looking for and having the local hose shop fab up a new nylon pipe with the right ends.
It sounds to me like you are missing the male to male adaptors that are in both sides of the pump. The first pic shows the wrench on the female end of the hose going to the pump. The second pic shows the pump with the wrench on the factory male to male adaptor. The adaptor is the same on both the inlet and outlet sides of the pump. The third pic shows the outlet fitting removed. I know the end of the adaptor that goes into the pump is different from the end that receives the hose but I'm not for sure of the thread type. The end that screws into the pump is a "regular" thread i.e. not tapered such as a barbed hose fitting would be. It relies on a shoulder with a brass washer to seal off to the pump. The other end is tapered to receive the flare on the steel end on the hose. I will try to get a better pic of the adaptor when I get down to the shop. Hope this helps.

TriedStone
04-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Actually I guess it would be a Female to Female adaptor. The Workshop Manual calls it a "Double-Ended Union". Hope this helps.

Cheers!

utahseries
05-02-2010, 12:09 AM
That helped alot! Thanks.. Ironically, my friend pointed out the page in the workshop manual where it showed it! I don't really know how I missed it!

daveb
05-02-2010, 03:50 PM
NEVER use rubber fuel line for the entire underbody run. It is not made to hold up in those conditions.

Cut off the nylon, remake the pipe with rubber fuel hose then add the male connector.

Jared

LaneRover
05-02-2010, 09:33 PM
NEVER use rubber fuel line for the entire underbody run. It is not made to hold up in those conditions.

Agreed - tried that on my 73 Ford to 'get by' and then a couple years later my trip to Home Depot ended with me losing a fair amount of gas and having to go and buy fuel line to get home!