PDA

View Full Version : Free Wheeling Hubs?

bear7343
04-25-2010, 07:33 PM
I have some old Warn Hubs on my turck currently. I know I need to change one and as a result, will change both. What does everyone recommend? Is it better to just put the full time hubs on?

yorker
04-26-2010, 07:35 AM
What is wrong with the Warns? If they can't be fixed then sure- put on drive flanges and forget about them. Most people are probably better off without locking hubs.

NickDawson
04-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Mine came with free wheeling hubs and so I did a bit of research about them to learn more...
Most of what I read suggested that they led to more problems than they were worth and that those problems came from people forgetting to engage them from time to time. It seems that they don't get properly lubed when in free wheeling mode...

keep in mind I'm learning as I go and that's not an area I've had to touch...yet...but thats why my research turned up.

thixon
04-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Mine came with free wheeling hubs and so I did a bit of research about them to learn more...
Most of what I read suggested that they led to more problems than they were worth and that those problems came from people forgetting to engage them from time to time. It seems that they don't get properly lubed when in free wheeling mode...

keep in mind I'm learning as I go and that's not an area I've had to touch...yet...but thats why my research turned up.

Hi Nick,

Its the top pin of the swivels that doesn't get lubed when you're free wheeling.

gudjeon
04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
I've run with and without, I can't tell the difference in terms of economy, power, wear,etc. I would spend money on lots of other things before I put hubs on.

I suggest if its an inexpensive repair, then fix the old hubs. If not, drive members. I think the driving flanges look cooler.:thumb-up:

LR Max
04-26-2010, 07:50 PM
I notice a difference on the interstate with hubs locked compared to freewheel. I'd stick with freewheel rather than flanges. They seem to be pretty stout.

I run Superwinches with great success. Cheap and they work. They do stick out a little bit but mine can take a hit A LOT better than the Faireys they replaced (which don't take a hit well...at all). For $100 brand new, hard to beat.

redmondrover
04-27-2010, 06:37 PM
We had MAP freewheeling hubs on our 109 and we are removing them to install stock hubs. Both swivel balls were rusted/pitted on the top half. I have been told that when the front wheels are engaged full time with the stock hubs, the oil spashes around enough to keep a thin sheen on the swivel balls and thereby prevent rust/pits. If the freewheeling hubs are not engaged often enough, the oil remains in the lower half of the ball, the top half loses the thin sheen and eventually rusts/pits.

JimCT
04-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Leave them locked most of the time, those rare long highway trips unlock them. It does make a difference. On long trips when we get off the highway to get fuel or camp I lock them in. Kind of like turning on the headlamps when it gets dark, not that complicated.

bmohan55
04-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Driving out to a rock crawling event (appx 100 miles) I had mine unlocked and got almost 14 mpg, on the way back I forgot to unlock and got a little over 12 mpg. Usually keep them locked.

Redmondrover, interesting observation as I always wondered why the tops of my balls were more pitted than the bottom, makes perefect sense!

yorker
04-28-2010, 09:24 AM
I think 2mpg was the difference I saw too FWIW. For a while I kept a log to determine the difference. In the end i binned my hubs because they were Fairey hubs and though they looked cool they sucked.

RoverForm
01-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I suggest if its an inexpensive repair, then fix the old hubs. If not, drive members. I think the driving flanges look cooler.:thumb-up:
does anyone have a pic of what the driving flanges look like?

yorker
01-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Look at your rear wheels...

Terrys
01-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Walk back and look at your rear hubs.