PDA

View Full Version : Pushed the clutch in - went right to the floor

chester rides again
04-25-2010, 10:11 PM
I recently had the truck in the garage to top up the gear box - the seal between that and the transfer box has failed, resulting in excess gear oil in the transfer box. Some at our host suggested just keeping both filled properly to avoid problems until I got around to tearing everything out.

I went to pull the truck out, put the clutch in and it went right to the floor with no resistance. I tried to put it in gear, but wasn't able to do anything but grind the gears. I gave up and went outside and mowed the yard.

I noticed that last week I was hearing the gears grinding a bit more than normal when I shifted, I just figured I was rushing thing and made a mental note to shift slower.

Looking at the green bible, it looks like I've got to tear some stuff out, but just wanted to find out if I might be lucky enough to have a much simpler fix.

Any help would be great.

graniterover
04-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Check for fluid above the pedal box in the cab, then in the engine compartement down the pedal box or on the reservoir, or down the steering box and down the bulkhead stay, then across the bulkhead and down the flex pipe to the slave cyl. Somewhere there is likely to be fluid.

Excess gear oil would have nothing to do with clutch pedal pressure. You either have a failed clutch master, clutch slave, or a leak in the system.

I recently had the truck in the garage to top up the gear box - the seal between that and the transfer box has failed, resulting in excess gear oil in the transfer box. Some at our host suggested just keeping both filled properly to avoid problems until I got around to tearing everything out.

I went to pull the truck out, put the clutch in and it went right to the floor with no resistance. I tried to put it in gear, but wasn't able to do anything but grind the gears. I gave up and went outside and mowed the yard.

I noticed that last week I was hearing the gears grinding a bit more than normal when I shifted, I just figured I was rushing thing and made a mental note to shift slower.

Looking at the green bible, it looks like I've got to tear some stuff out, but just wanted to find out if I might be lucky enough to have a much simpler fix.

Any help would be great.

bear7343
04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
You say the pedal is going right to the floor, meaning:

1) No fluid in the reservoir
2) Failed Master Cylinder.
3) Failed Slave Cylinder
4) Failed line from Master to Slave Cylinder
5) Failed throw out assembly.

I would remove the slave cylinder and hold a screw driver in it while someone pumps the clutch pedal. If it moves the problem is in your assembly within the gear box. You can then remove the inspection plate located under the shifter lever and see the throw out bearing operate. If it is pushing on the pressure plate either your pressure plate or clutch disk may be bad. Just where I would start. Hope for the line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder having a leak.

I would

TeriAnn
04-26-2010, 08:36 PM
You say the pedal is going right to the floor, meaning:

1) No fluid in the reservoir
2) Failed Master Cylinder.
3) Failed Slave Cylinder
4) Failed line from Master to Slave Cylinder
5) Failed throw out assembly.

6) If it is a II or IIA chances are good that one of the pins holding part of the clutch linkage sheared. You will probably need to pull your gearbox cover anyway.

There is an L shaped linkage part that turns the downward movement into a horizontal twisting movement. There is a hollow tube collar piece that connects the 'L' linkage to the internal throw out bearing linkage. The collar is connected to the rest of the linkage by two tapered pins. If one is sheared there is no clutch action. It happened to me once and I have heard of it happening to others.

If this is the case you might want to replace both pins and the bronze spherical bushing on the 'L' linkage. It is usually worn pretty bad. Just a tiny gap in the linkage connecting parts can add up to a lot of pedal travel so don't make due with a bolt instead of the correct tapered pin.

chester rides again
06-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Finally had the chance to get under the truck... found the slave cylinder, it was working fine, moving and offering plenty of movement and resistance when the clutch pedal was pressed.

I took off the floor boards and tunnel cover and could easily see that the parts were working going into the bell housing... I decided to try to see if the truck would work... funny enough, it did engage and i was able to drive down the road and shift into all the gears!!!!!

It is extremely soft and still presses right to the floor... I don't really want to remove the gearbox and bell housing. Should I just try bleeding the system first?

SafeAirOne
06-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Should I just try bleeding the system first?

Bleeding will only cost you a $4 bottle of fluid and a half hour's time. Why not?...