PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen scratches

Wander
04-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Have any of you used a polishing compound or similar to smooth the windscreen glass? Mine is pitted and scratched and I was thinking of trying to polish to see if it can be smoothed.

stomper
04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
I have polished glass in the past with very poor results. You will never be able to remove the scratches, as they are too deep, and glass is just too hard of a surface. If you do find a product with enough cut to polish the scratches, then you will likely have a distorted view out the window. (sort of like a curved mirror in a fun house). The best recomendation is to simply replace the glass.

If you woant to try and polish it, try Bon-Ami scrubbing powder, similar to AJax or Comet. What you will be able to do at best is to round over the edges of the scratches, and make them less noticable, but you can't remove them. Use an equal pressure over the entire piece of glass, don't scrub one area more than another.

This is just my $0.02, but I have had quite a bit of experience in automotive detailing.

thixon
04-27-2010, 10:32 AM
I have polished glass in the past with very poor results. You will never be able to remove the scratches, as they are too deep, and glass is just too hard of a surface. If you do find a product with enough cut to polish the scratches, then you will likely have a distorted view out the window. (sort of like a curved mirror in a fun house). The best recomendation is to simply replace the glass.

X2. Futile effort.

Wander
04-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks Stomper, I am going to clay bar the glass first to get the gunk out of the scratches and then try to polish it. Maybe the combo will make the scratches less noticable. They aren't terrible now and I mainly see them in either direct sunlight or in the headlight reflection of on coming cars.

4flattires
04-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Pits are a badge of honor. Kinda like rock chips in the wings, or what we call here in Arizona as desert pin-striping for enhancing paint jobs in the brush.

If you want to attack grooves from poorly maintained wipers, your local auto glass shop has a polisher that attaches to the wiper shaft and polishes out the groove according to the arc. I've seen at work.

Flat glass is cheap.

stomper
04-27-2010, 02:27 PM
The clay will take the road film off the glass, but the polish will essentially do the same thing. Clay is not abrasive, so I would skip that step if you are planning on polishing anyway. It will save you time, and a perfectly good bar of clay.

I do clay my windshield about twice a year, and apply rainx to supplement the poor windshield wipers on the IIA.

TedW
04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
I do clay my windshield about twice a year, and apply rainx to supplement the poor windshield wipers on the IIA.

IMO Rain-X works awesome on series winscreens. And it's easy and quick to put on, as there isn't much area to do.

I've been in nasty downpours with Rain-X and didn't need the wipers.

Tsmith
04-27-2010, 04:41 PM
At most glass shops (the non-automotive kind) ask for school bus glass. It is laminated safety glass and can be cut to the dimension you need. It isn't very costly. I don't recall the overall dimensions of the sheet they have, but you'll likely be charged for the whole sheet, so have them cut several for you to use up the sheet. You can use them yourself, or sell them on ebay and retire early.

Tom Smith

scott
04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
... but you'll likely be charged for the whole sheet, so have them cut several for you to use up the sheet. You can use them yourself, or sell them on ebay and retire early.

Tom Smith

or cut to the demensions of the floor boards then you can watch the trail pass under ya

gudjeon
04-27-2010, 07:07 PM
I replaced my windscreen panels on my ser1 for about $40 per. They cut it from the laminated stuff that they put in heavy equipment (graders, shovels, etc). Probably just as much work to replace as it would be to polish. Take out old ones for a pattern.:thumb-up:

1961 109 WAGON
04-27-2010, 08:52 PM
i bought glass for my truck for like $45 a side from another vender, brand new, easy one hour job to replace both sides.

Wander
04-28-2010, 07:33 AM
or cut to the demensions of the floor boards then you can watch the trail pass under ya

Hey now...a glass bottom Rover!

So the message I'm getting is it's just easier to replace and not that costly so you might as well. I think I'll put this on the list to do after I finish the seats and get the seat belts in as this is a safety item. Then there is the rather strong petrol smell after I drive her that lingers yet I can't find a leak anywhere.....

4flattires
04-28-2010, 07:42 AM
there is the rather strong petrol smell after I drive her that lingers yet I can't find a leak anywhere.....

Vapors.

Check your filler neck.

Tsmith
06-21-2010, 02:28 PM
The laminated safety glass comes in 36 x 60 inch sheets. That's four panels. When the sun hits my pitted glass, it's hard to see where I'm headed.

109 Pretender
06-22-2010, 01:07 PM
I'd say everyone has hit this on the head! Glass is cheap and your time is valuable - replace it!

Now I really think Scott was onto something w/his comment:

You guys know that the French have a new IMAX theater format that has glass floors too?? Imagine w/all the 3D movie stuff and holograph techniques on the rise - well, we'd have the 1st example of the next generation automobiles - and we could ID the parts when they fall off! :D

Cheers!