PDA

View Full Version : Removing the rear bulkhead

Tim Smith
03-02-2007, 02:57 PM
So I'm going to be removing the rear bulkhead in my lightweight to accommodate some more leg room. Plus this will give me access to the under seat tanks once I've installed the new RRC seats.

Anyone ever done this? Any pitfalls?

If it's needed, I'm hoping to reinforce it the same way Land Rover did with the 90's. I think it's just a tube bent to fit in there to keep the sides from flopping about. Do you think it's absolutely necessary to reinforce it like that?

Cheers,
Tim

daveb
03-02-2007, 07:15 PM
yes.

rgrds,
Dave.

PS 90's have reinforcing under the tub too. not just what you see inside.:nono:

Tim Smith
03-03-2007, 11:42 AM
yes.

rgrds,
Dave.

PS 90's have reinforcing under the tub too. not just what you see inside.:nono:

I guess you are saying that I have to reinforce the sides.

Cheers

daveb
03-08-2007, 05:05 PM
I guess you are saying that I have to reinforce the sides.

Cheers

Hey there.

heck I don't really know. Never done it. Only thing I am saying is that if you look at a NAS 90, you will see that the bulkhead is gone and replaced by an upsidedown u-shaped sort of tubing that is tied into the rollcage (I think?)

what alot of folks don't realize is that there is an additional piece of tube under the rear bed that is part of this structure.

how this affects your project or anyone else's? your guess is as good as mine...

So, here is a question for the masses. Is the 88 bulkhead in the same place as a 90 blukhead or is the 90's further back?

/thread hijack

dave

yorker
03-09-2007, 08:01 AM
In the UK they sell a kit to do this.

Tim Smith
03-09-2007, 11:18 AM
In the UK they sell a kit to do this.

Do you know who?

Winston-Rover
06-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Tim,
did you ever end up removing your rear bulkhead? if so how did it turn out?

Tim Smith
06-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Nah, life got in the way.

I've still got those new Range Rover Classic seats ready to be installed but my plans have changed a bit and it looks like I will be pushing a little harder to get the 109 rebuild on the way again. If I can get that thing on the road soon, then I'll be throwing those RRC seats in there. It should prove to be a much more comfortable daily driver as I'm planning on sound proofing the #ell out of it.

Besides, if I get real good at welding, I may not have to deal with under seat fillers in the 109 any more either.

Also, the lightweight has straight sides which seems a bit weaker than regular rover sides. I was wondering if I was asking too much of them by removing that bulkhead.

I'll let you know how it turns out, whenever I get around to actually doing it.

rovertek
06-16-2007, 11:30 PM
hi, ive done this to an 88 and fitted defender reclining seats by relieving the wheel house and fabing a reinforcement bar and boltin it farther back and attaching sheet alum from the floor to the bar and i am 6'5 and there was all the room i needed, if you would like pics email: gauto@localnet.com

Winston-Rover
06-18-2007, 11:40 AM
rovertek, I'd definately like to see some pictures, I just sent you an email.

Tim Smith
06-18-2007, 06:38 PM
rovertek, I'd definately like to see some pictures, I just sent you an email.
Me too.
Email coming soon.