PDA

View Full Version : dash mounted fan

Walker
04-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Has anyone mounted a fan anywhere in their Series rigs? I don't really want to add a/c but I would like to move the heat aroutnd(:p) a little more. I'veseen pics but can't remember (age) where. Thanks.

Art

LR Max
04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
I bought a simple 12V clip fan. Works ok-ish. Clips onto the S3 dash perfectly.

Wander
04-28-2010, 07:36 AM
I just meet up with a guy that has a hybrid IIa/III 109 3 door and he had a small fan also clipped to his SIII dash. Looked pretty handy. His had a small goose neck section to allow positioning of the fan.

Andrew IIA
04-28-2010, 07:56 AM
I mounted a 12V fan that I got from NAPA in the rear of my 88", up high on the drivers side. Its mostly for the dogs in the summer, but the extra breeze on the back of my neck is nice too :thumb-up:

jrd51ox
04-28-2010, 01:01 PM
All the fans that I found online require a car lighter outlet, excuse my ignorance, but don't most series not have lighter outlets?

crankin
04-28-2010, 01:14 PM
You are correct. most do not have a 12v cig lighter. You could splice in a connector and use the exisitng acc. plug (the red and black plugs)...or wire in an cig lighter into a hot lead somewhere. You can pick up a new cig lighter (ACC plug) at an autoparts place for about $10.

I wired my ACC plug into a constant hot so that when I shut off the truck I still have power. I just have to remember to unplug what ever is in there so that it doesn't drain my battery.

bkreutz
04-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Or... you could just cut the lighter plug off the end of the wire and either wire it in directly, or think up some kind of plug and socket affair.

Jim-ME
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM
I have a set of sockets and an accessory plug available. PM me if interested.
Jim

NelsAnderson
04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
All the fans that I found online require a car lighter outlet, excuse my ignorance, but don't most series not have lighter outlets?

My 1963 109SW certainly has a car lighter outlet; I thought that was standard. I've even used it to power things; haven't tried lighting any cigars with it.

I'd like a fan too, but the car store fans I've found are too large. Anyone ever found a smaller one, maybe 4 inch diameter versus the normal car store fans that are 7 or 8 inches?

Wander
04-28-2010, 01:39 PM
My 64 IIa doesn't have a cig lighter nor does it appear one was ever there. Was this an option or maybe a dealer install?

Nels, does yours appear factory or could it have been added later?

Andrew IIA
04-28-2010, 02:51 PM
You are correct. most do not have a 12v cig lighter. You could splice in a connector and use the exisitng acc. plug (the red and black plugs)...or wire in an cig lighter into a hot lead somewhere. You can pick up a new cig lighter (ACC plug) at an autoparts place for about $10.

I wired my ACC plug into a constant hot so that when I shut off the truck I still have power. I just have to remember to unplug what ever is in there so that it doesn't drain my battery.
Yes, I should have said that my fan plugs into a 12V cig lighter socket which I added a few years ago; they're cheap and very useful (power for fan and/or gps or little a/c inverter for phone/camera charging etc.). I mounted mine discreetly in an existing hole on the right side of the instrument cluster - facing into the parcel shelf near the Kodiak defroster hoses. Mine is wired Hot also. The 7 - 8 inch fan is a good size for the rear of the Series.

jgkmmoore
04-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Try Google for an awe inspiring selection of fans of all types, and Ebay
Motors (Parts and accessories). Keep an open mind on how to mount...you can do some sneaky stuff. There are some nifty industrial fans(be sure to notice voltage) that are 4" x 4". Made in 12/ 24/ 120 volts.:thumb-up:
Regards-Jeff

yorker
04-28-2010, 07:42 PM
School bus fans used to be a fairly popular mod for Series Rovers in the US. I've seen more than a few with them added here and there.

http://www.schoolbuspartsco.com/WebPages/heaterpages/defroster.html

Tim Smith
04-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Those school bus fans look pretty well put together.

I once had a cheapo fan and it literally fell to pieces in one weekend trip. :(

yorker
04-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Yeah the school bus fans work really well and are usually very well made vs your discount auto store Chinese crap. They also can be really cheap because bus contracts spec them and they aren't very often removed when you scrap an old bus because the new ones come with 1 or 2 of them already.

NelsAnderson
04-29-2010, 08:39 AM
My 64 IIa doesn't have a cig lighter nor does it appear one was ever there. Was this an option or maybe a dealer install?

Nels, does yours appear factory or could it have been added later?

It looks like it has always been there. It's mounted next to the choke control:

http://www.trainsim.com/landrover/ffr3.jpg (http://www.trainsim.com/landrover/ffr3.jpg)

JayGoss
05-01-2010, 08:57 AM
School bus fans used to be a fairly popular mod for Series Rovers in the US. I've seen more than a few with them added here and there.

http://www.schoolbuspartsco.com/WebPages/heaterpages/defroster.html

Yorker- thanks for that link! I've been trying to find a nicely made, metal fan like the ones on that school bus fan site- I would never have found that!

siiirhd88
05-06-2010, 07:03 PM
The wife's V8 109 has a cheap oscillating fan from a generic auto parts store mounted to the middle windscreen frame on an aluminum angle bracket. I used the two lower windscreen trim screws to hold the bracket in place. The fan can be set to one position or will oscillate up and down and sideways. It plugs into a lighter type power port.

During warm weather we use the fan only when driving slow, as without a bonnet mounted spare there is great air flow from the dash vents. In winter it really helps move the warm air around, since the heater and fan are mounted on the tunnel in front of the shifter and it gets quite warm up front.

Bob
'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/Fan3.jpg