PDA

View Full Version : Strong petrol smell

Wander
04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
I can smell gas(petrol) while driving my IIa and especially after I've parked it. I know that some scent is normal but this is pretty strong. I have not been able to locate a leak anywhere and all appears OK. I recently had my tank steamed and sealed and replaced the e-pump and fuel filter and I figured I didn't clamp something tight enough but I can't find an obvious source, what else should I check?

NickDawson
04-28-2010, 02:42 PM
is it dieseling at all when you cut it off? Mine reeks of gas when the timing is off, its like there is a lot of unspent fuel in the carb or something. Just a thought...

Wander
04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Yes it does a bit-especially when I've been driving it a while. What carb do you have? I've got the weber which also needs the chock even when it's warm out-that could be the timing too..

NickDawson
04-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Yes it does a bit-especially when I've been driving it a while. What carb do you have? I've got the weber which also needs the chock even when it's warm out-that could be the timing too..

Weber and have the exact same issue with the choke, gas smell, and timing.
I also had an issue ad idle that proved to be the idle fuel shut off solenoid, that issue appears to have resurrected...

You might check your timing and that your dizzy is nice and snug, mine loosened itself up which is how my timing got out of whack in the first place.

Wander
04-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I will, thanks.

Do you have a fuel filter with a return? I've heard that works well with the Weber's and solve the vapor lock problem. I've not had the VL issue (yet) and I'm wondering if the Weber is the best carb for the 2.25 or should I look for something else.

crankin
04-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm wondering if the Weber is the best carb for the 2.25 or should I look for something else.

Oh goodness, you have opened a can of worms now. People argue which is better, which one they can never set right, etc...
I'm happy with my Weber..some people hate thiers.

Wander
04-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Oh goodness, you have opened a can of worms now. People argue which is better, which one they can never set right, etc...
I'm happy with my Weber..some people hate thiers.

Ha, I had a feeling...the problems of being new to series rovers, you don't know the hot button issues yet.
I think the unspent fuel comment might be on track-the fuel scent is of raw gas. Are you running a filter with a return? I'm wondering if the Weber needs one to allow the unspent fuel to return the the tank which would also take care of the smell-well at that smell.

I also think my timing is off so I'll start there.

badvibes
04-28-2010, 10:54 PM
..... and I'm wondering if the Weber is the best carb for the 2.25 or should I look for something else.

This thread has some feedback on this question. Didn't seem to be a clear-cut winner from the opinions on this board.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9170

Wander
04-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the link-I'm now thinking that a re-jetted Rochester might be a better choice than the Weber however no one mentioned the unspent fuel issue-or a strong petrol smell in relation to the Weber.

crankin
04-29-2010, 09:02 AM
More than likely its your timing.

SalemRover
04-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the link-I'm now thinking that a re-jetted Rochester might be a better choice than the Weber however no one mentioned the unspent fuel issue-or a strong petrol smell in relation to the Weber.

I look forward to your post about spent fuel after you get the rochester installed. All kidding aside they all have their pros and cons.

Good Luck!

-Jason

NickDawson
04-29-2010, 11:12 AM
More than likely its your timing.

I worked on my timing last night, I'm confident that is the source of my gas smell, dieseling and hesitation at full throttle... I'm just not sure how to fix it. Even with the timing light, I must be doing something wrong...not to hijack the thread though :D

Wander, have you checked your timing to see if you can get it to run without the choke out (at warm temps)? Any improvement?

Wander
04-29-2010, 02:39 PM
I won't have a chance to work on it until this weekend Nick. The timing is the first thing I'll do as it might be an easy solution (like that ever happens:cool:).

What about the jet? The info in the other thread about ratios and jet adjustments which indicates the Weber is often under jetted for Rovers. I have no clue if mine has been changed or not as a PO did the work and I can't get in touch with him.