PDA

View Full Version : clutch question

NickDawson
04-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Ok, the truck is running, starter is new...all is bliss.
Rather than my usual M.O. of thinking what luxury I'll do next, like say installing the winch I've had since December.... I'm playing it cool... nothing new for the LanRvr :D

So call me an automotive hypochondriac, or just curious to learn...

I noticed today that if I pump the clutch 2x, the 2nd pump stops 1/2 way and I can only shift 1/2 way into gear.

I discovered this b/c sometimes, particularly to go into reverse, I hear a slight grind before it goes into gear...and sometimes, every once in a while its a little hard to get into gear. So I though, if the clutch is hydraulic like the brakes, what happens if I pump 2x? Again, I've hyper sensitive. My modern sedan also grinds into reverse sometimes.

I had so much fun driving with the top off today that I want to make sure I'm ahead of anything that will keep me curb-bound this summer.

So, is this anything to worry about, or just normal clutch operation?

Rineheitzgabot
04-30-2010, 05:56 AM
If you wait a second or two after depressing the clutch pedal, does it go away? Sometimes, it just takes a little time to actuate the mechanism that disengages the clutch plate, since it is a hydraulic circuit.

Mine did this right after I bought it, and I ended up replacing the whole circuit; lines, master, slave. Mine was much worse by the way you describe yours. I could never shift to 1, from any other position except 3. Something to do with the synchros, and If I remember correctly, this wouldn't be an issue for you, since yours should be synchro'd by being an SIII.

Try the press-and-wait method once to see if that helps.

-Gary

NickDawson
04-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Try the press-and-wait method once to see if that helps.

-Gary
Yep, goes away very quickly.
Thanks for the education!

Of course, I forgot the other luxury I have to avoid - planning to drive the truck. This weekend is the first farmers market of the year, we were going to go sans top, it would have been lovely....

I went to drive to work today and it made it around the block, sputtered and died. The tank was on E when I filled it up last night, tried 93 for a change...my hope is a clogged fuel filter from letting it run so low, fingers crossed at least.

Wander
04-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Is your fuel filter the solid type or transparent? I switched the the transparent Fram in order to monitor the amount of gunk in my fuel which lead me to know that it was the tank that needed cleaning and was the cause of my stalling. If it is the tank the truck will be fine after about 2 min after stalling. It will run fine for a set period of time (mine was 10min) and then stall again. I also changed the e-pump and filter when I reinstalled the cleaned and sealed tank. A old school radiator shop can do the cleaning and sealing for you if you like. Mine cost $100 even. I did drop the tank myself and took it to them to save labor cost and avoid having them muck up my Rover.