X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joecarville
    Low Range
    • Jan 2007

HELP I CANT TAKE ANYMORE

Can anyone help me with the removal of thirty years of military paint .
    I am using Napa paint remover and I spend every waking minute as high as a kite
  • daveb
    5th Gear
    • Nov 2006

try "peel away" it's great for removing multiple layers of paint. home depot should have it. just follow the directions on the bucket, should be easy on a LR. low odor so you can even use it indoors. great stuff IMO.
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Comment

• Joecarville
      Low Range
      • Jan 2007

Thanks. at this stage i'll try anything

Comment

• Leslie
        5th Gear
        • Oct 2006

I like aircraft remover, FWIW....
        -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
        '60 SII 88" RHD

Comment

• Tim Smith
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Leslie
          But make sure you are in a well ventilated area and don't get it on your skin.

Very strong stuff!

Comment

• jac04
            Overdrive
            • Feb 2007

The aircraft paint stripper worked great for me as well. I was only stripping one layer, but it should work well on multiple layers. Not to preach, but you should ALWAYS be wearing a respirator and proper protection.

Comment

• lrover109
              Low Range
              • Dec 2006

The other thing that worked well when I stripped off all of the camo paint off my Rover - 5-6 layers was Jasco paint and epoxy remover. Also make sure you wear eye protection as a little flake in your eye would ruin your day

Comment

• Mike Koch
                RN Sales Team
                • May 2006

Don't inhale!

Just an FYI:

I ended up in the emergency room due to accidentally not having adequate ventilation while using aircraft stripper...it turns into CO in your blood about 24 hrs. after exposure...not a fond Rover memory! But, the stuff works wonders on the paint.

Safety first!

Mike Koch
                Mike Koch

1993 Range Rover SWB
                "Backup car? Why would I need a backup car? My car backs up just fine."

Comment

• daveb
                  5th Gear
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Leslie
                  yes, very useful if you have a UFO lodged somewhere.

butt (teehee) seriously, peelaway works great because it stays on for 2-3 days and is covered by a membrane to prevent evaporation, and thus has time to really work through all the layers. when yer done it comes off with a putty knife and takes all the paint with it. power wash the remainder and then neutralize (with vinegar IIRC) as the stuff is pretty alkaline. lye based I bleieve instead of methyl deathyl whatever and no odor. I used it to strip 6 or 7 layers of paint off my fireplace's bricks, and otherwise impossible or very unpleasant job in an occupied house.

happy huffing
                  daveB in DC
                  A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Comment

• Jazzop
                    Low Range
                    • Nov 2006

It will not be cheap, but if you calculate the stress/grief/time/sweat/brain damage/etc of continuing with your current approach, you may find it easier to take the vehicle to an aircraft paint shop (if you are near an airport so-equipped) and let them spray their magic goo on your Rover. They can strip paint off aluminum like nobody's business, and you don't have to deal with disposing of the toxic runoff either.

Comment

• Joecarville
                      Low Range
                      • Jan 2007

Thanks for the interest and the tips. I am working my way through them and will let y'all know how it works out.. Stay tuned

Comment

• Joecarville
                        Low Range
                        • Jan 2007

Well I can finally see light at the end of the paint scraper and its all down to elbow grease and your common or garden Wal Mart paint stripper. I have tried every solution known to man and then some. Price does not matter, $75 a gallon with all kinds of promises or $15 a gallon the results are the same, it's just really hard tedious work and I would not recomend it to anyone,and I for sure will not be doing it again

Comment

• Tim Smith
                          Overdrive
                          • Nov 2006

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it. I've heard good results with the chemical scrapers but yet to try it myself. Only read the warnings.

Can you tell us exactly what you used and what the results were with each? Also, is it an MOD truck of civilian? The difference would be the number of coats you'd be dealing with.
                          Last edited by Tim Smith; 05-05-2007, 01:23 AM.

Comment

• Tim Smith
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

Ooops

My bad. Just re-read the original post and it's MOD.

So I'm guessing there is about 5-20 coats of paint. So let us know the rest of the story.

Comment

• JAy
                              Low Range
                              • Apr 2007

I tried paint remover, but finally gave in and just used a wire wheel on an angle grinder. It makes a mess, but it works way faster and easier than any paint stripper. Just make sure you get a good quality wire wheel, and be careful you don't start eating away your aluminum.

Comment

Working...