PDA

View Full Version : Need Diagnosis of issue

nateme16
04-30-2010, 02:07 PM
It is a 1973 Series III 109. I was driving to return the car to a garage and it developed a periodic tick, as if it were just barely in a gear. I depressed the clutch to see if the tick would stop. It did not, just progressively got worse. I coasted to a stop in neutral, noise getting worse and worse, now more like metal on metal. It did not matter if the transmission was engaged, or if the clutch was in or anything really. Car will turn over no problem and the bad noise continues, so I dont let it run for more than a second. Anybody else experienced this or have a diagnosis? My thoughts are that it is a clutch issue or failure. Thanks for any help or advice.

kevin-ct
04-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Let it run and go the front of the car and stick your head in there and try to pin point the noise.

Is it possible the water pump or alt?

When did you check all the fluids?

dont drive far

baja gs
04-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Get yourself a section of garden hose and listen all around the engine including the exhaust manifold to try pinpoint where the sound comes from. And does the tick advance with the rpms.

siii8873
05-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Is the tick when the car im in motion only or both when stationary and moving? I had an interesting thing happen to me yesterday. I was running down the road and all of a sudden there was a gear grinding sound. Shifted gearbox/ OD / Transfer boxes to neutran and noise continued until I stopped. I have the bulkhead cowl and tunnel cover removed with just the floor mat covering that area. What happened was that the 4WD lever dropped due to not having the spring attached to hold it up. It's odd that I have been driving this way for about 2 weeks and it took this long to happen. Good old bungee cord holding it up now.

ybt502r
05-01-2010, 07:43 AM
I had something similiar - maybe or maybe not like yours - that was a distinct ticking, tied to the engine RPM. Very much metal on metal. I could not figure it out, and it didn't seem to affect the driving, but it made me nervous. It was certainly loud enough to hear over the engine and drive chain. Turns out it was the oil dipstick - presumably touching something rotating inside the engine. I had turned the stick 180 degrees from the position it had been in (for years, obviously), and somehow it was touching a rotating part at the bottom of the engine. I've not bothered to figure out what it was, as it stopped as soon as I re-rotated the dipstick back.