PDA

View Full Version : yet another reason to have beer around when working on your rover

NickDawson
05-01-2010, 05:24 PM
So I pulled the glass cup from the fuel filter for an inspection today (everything was clean) and when I went to put it back, I couldn't get a tight fit.

Seemingly in defiance of the laws of physics, what had been sung 1 minute before would not tighten up.

Thats when it hit me, I reached in my pocket, pulled out the beer bottle cap (Troges Nugget Nectar in this case) and wedged it between the thumb wheel and the glass cup. Worked perfectly! Now it didn't save my house like in BMohan55's case...but it did get us to the farmers market today :D

Our local beer joint has a sign above the bar that says "beer is the answer" - turns out, they are right!

scott
05-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Beer is proof that Allah loves us and wants us to be happy

badvibes
05-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Beer is proof that Allah loves us and wants us to be happy

I'm not sure about that one, I thought that Al guy said, "Ah beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems."

Oh and nice use of the materials at hand to effect a repair Nick.

Wander
05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
All Right Nick!

After to head scratchers you've been working on it's great to hear of success-and even better when it involves beer:thumb-up:

Rineheitzgabot
05-01-2010, 10:12 PM
"...beer, with it's millions of tiny bubbles
listens while I talk, makes light while I am
dark, brings peace to my mind.

In each bubble a thought, an idea, an epiphany..."

-Author Unknown

Scott- Ben Franklin supposedly said the same, but talked about God, generally, and I don't think he was familiar with Allah.

scott
05-01-2010, 10:52 PM
rine, yes ben said it first and yes he probably didn't praise allah, but i believe all gods love us cuz all beer is good. today i enjoyed mine while watching paint dry on the wheels of my newest series

TeriAnn
05-02-2010, 08:36 AM
So I pulled the glass cup from the fuel filter for an inspection today (everything was clean) and when I went to put it back, I couldn't get a tight fit.

The rubber seal hardens over time when exposed to gas. Once a hard sediment bowl seal has been removed it is very very difficult to reseat so it doesn't leak. I suggest always having a new replacement seal sitting in your on board tool kit. They should easily seal up when the tightening knob is finger tight. Spare seals are cheap, light weight, take up next to no space and can make a world of difference when you absolutely can not get the old seal to seal.

Our local beer joint has a sign above the bar that says "beer is the answer" - turns out, they are right!

It could be the answer to WWI and WWII. Germans likely got sour on just lagers and wanted better access to Belgian and Scottish ales.

Of course real beer is an ale that either opens by flipping the bail or has a cap that requires the bottom of a metal instrument panel Land Rover to open

Only the British would design a truck with a convenient built in bottle opener that is easily accessible from both sides. :rolleyes:

4flattires
05-02-2010, 10:09 AM
We need reasons for beer?

:thumb-up:

Rineheitzgabot
05-02-2010, 11:27 AM
rine, yes ben said it first and yes he probably didn't praise allah, but i believe all gods love us cuz all beer is good. today i enjoyed mine while watching paint dry on the wheels of my newest series

Dude, if you are ever in Indiana, let me know. :)

scott
05-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Dude, if you are ever in Indiana, let me know. :)

will do but ya gotta get daisy to fix that completely surrounded by no beer problem

NickDawson
05-02-2010, 01:13 PM
All Right Nick!

After to head scratchers you've been working on it's great to hear of success-and even better when it involves beer:thumb-up:

Some of my best (and worst) thinking often involves beer....
;)

Rineheitzgabot
05-03-2010, 07:01 AM
will do but ya gotta get daisy to fix that completely surrounded by no beer problem

Cool! You even know who Onslow is! One of my heros...

Oh, and don't worry about the beer problem.

bmohan55
05-03-2010, 07:20 AM
My favorite t-shirt reads..
BEER:
A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows. ~ George Bernard Shaw

bought it at a micro-brew beer fest...I think?

TedW
05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Taigate events, for instance. Therefore, I modified my beast for convenience's sake.

cscutt
05-04-2010, 11:09 PM
If Daisy is unable to solve the beer issue, I bet that Hyacinth will go to the pub for you...who knows.. it may turn out to be one of her candle light suppers with riparian entertainment:thumb-up:

scott
05-05-2010, 08:39 AM
If Daisy is unable to solve the beer issue, I bet that Hyacinth will go to the pub for you...who knows.. it may turn out to be one of her candle light suppers with riparian entertainment:thumb-up:

you'd have an easier time getting a series to do 80 mph than getting hyacinth to fetch beer. and if you could why would ya. i mean driving at that speed in a series or waiting for her to show up is stupid

4flattires
05-08-2010, 11:42 PM
...there was the time that we were crossing the Mojave....

It was hot.
I mean really hot.
The wind was relentless.
Did I mention how hot it was?
It had been miles since our last rest.
The food rations had long since run out.
We had lost one or two of our own that day.
The last water cache had been consumed days earlier.
Even the scorpions had given up and expired under the relentless sun.

But WAIT! We still had 1 BEER back in the 88!

So we reversed our route, sprinted the last 56 miles back to camp, poured the Shiner Bock into the empty clutch master cylinder, fired that Rover up, and once again, shifted effortlessly to the Quickie Mart over the hill to get some cold, refreshing, frosty, thirst quenching, palate pleasing, anything but non-alcoholic, good with any meal, and pairs nicely with Fritos....beer.

Yes, my son, that was the day that beer saved my life. Strange but true, and it's how I met your mother too..

daveb
05-09-2010, 01:23 AM
I would start it in gear and drive without the clutch, and drink the damn beer.

...there was the time that we were crossing the Mojave....

It was hot.
I mean really hot.
The wind was relentless.
Did I mention how hot it was?
It had been miles since our last rest.
The food rations had long since run out.
We had lost one or two of our own that day.
The last water cache had been consumed days earlier.
Even the scorpions had given up and expired under the relentless sun.

But WAIT! We still had 1 BEER back in the 88!

So we reversed our route, sprinted the last 56 miles back to camp, poured the Shiner Bock into the empty clutch master cylinder, fired that Rover up, and once again, shifted effortlessly to the Quickie Mart over the hill to get some cold, refreshing, frosty, thirst quenching, palate pleasing, anything but non-alcoholic, good with any meal, and pairs nicely with Fritos....beer.

Yes, my son, that was the day that beer saved my life. Strange but true, and it's how I met your mother too..