PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Flex Hose

JackIIA
05-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Anyone replaced the clutch flex hose for a Girling 313340 slave cylinder? The set up I've seen diagrammed for a IIA, shows the flex hose going directly into the slave cylinder. This is not the set-up I have, nor one that works with this slave, from the hoses I've tried.

For my clutch, the hose runs into a brass cuff and that cuff sits around a banjo bolt that bolts into the slave. The hoses I've seen and tried either have two elongated fittings, identical to that you'd find for brake flex hoses, or have the stub threading I need, but it's too fine and the diameter is too small.

I do have a plan b if no one has run into this, but interested in anyone with this set up who has recently replaced the hose. Thanks.

TedW
05-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I don't understand why they did it this way.

I also have a '70 IIA, and replaced my clutch hose last year with a Goodridge stainless hose I got from the UK.

The Goodridge hose had one end that fit straight into the slave, eliminating the need for the banjo fitting. The other end needed a hardware store brass adaptor. No biggie.

That banjo deal adds mucho resistance to the system - you can hear (and feel)the fluid squishing through the little hole in the banjo when you push in the clutch.

When I first pushed in the clutch with the new hose I thought I didn't have any pressure because it was so easy. But everything was great - I just didn't have the resistance from the banjo fitting.

There must be a different hose you can get that will go straight in to the slave. Maybe the earlier IIA hose, or the Series III??? I bet our hosts could tell you.

carl k
05-03-2010, 09:30 AM
My '67 NADA 109 uses the banjo also, as confirmed by the parts book. The flex hose itself has 7/16” threads at both ends rather than the 3/8” threads found on LR brakes and other 2.25L clutch parts (the slave cylinder does have the 3/8” threads). The bracket riveted to the bulkhead has a hole in it that’s larger to accommodate the 7/16” thread- a 3/8” flex hose swims in it. Cross-referencing the Girling number pointed me to one on eBay (currently item #310191594443) which is is an exact match. However it looks a little shorter than the one you have pictured, the NADA 109 has the bulkhead bracket attached in the transmission tunnel area, not at the very front of the footbox. This makes the flex hose run a bit shorter. If RN can't help, you could try to search for the Girling number which was probably used on multiple vehicles.

Hope this helps.
Carl K.

JackIIA
05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
guys thanks. i'll take a look at that ebay entry.

Les Parker
05-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Hello there,
The hose that threads directly into the slave cylinder, thus eliminating the banjo arrangement, is RNF169 Hose.

Hope this helps

JackIIA
05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
thanks Les