PDA

View Full Version : Points to Pertronix

2manykids4a7
05-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Hey everybody,

I'm thinking of making the switch. The main shaft on my distributor has some wobble to it, making it hard to maintain a steady gap on the points. So since I'm having to change it out, I'm thinking of going with a Pertronix distributor and ignitor. Has anyone else done the full switch? If so, did you replace the coil as well? Any advice?

I have a 1975 109 FFR that has had the voltage dropped from 24 to 12. The part I'm looking at is a Pertronix D176600. Best deal I have found so far is here

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-D176600

Any thoughts, advice, general know how.

Thanks, Steve..

bkreutz
05-03-2010, 04:33 PM
I think you'd still have some problems with the looseness of the dist shaft, the air gap would be changing constantly, and they(pertronix) don't like that.

2manykids4a7
05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
It is my intention to replace the whole distributor with a flamethrower unit from Pertronix.

bkreutz
05-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Never mind:). Didn't get that out of your original post. I haven't put one in my Rover yet, but I've put them in a bunch of other projects and haven't had any problems. (except if I leave the ignition "on" without running it, fries the module pretty quick) The main reason I went with Pertronix is that it's getting harder and harder to find quality condensers anymore, can't count the condenser failures I've had in the past 10 years. (as opposed to 40 years ago when that was a very rare failure) Oh, and I haven't used one of their coils and haven't had any problems with stock coils.

jac04
05-03-2010, 07:02 PM
What is a BMC A or B series engine, which is what that distributor is supposed to fit? I thought that the 2.25 distributor had a unique advance curve, and that not all 45D distributors were the same.

I bought a new old stock Lucas 45D from RDS and installed a Pertronix unit along with their epoxy coil. So far so good, but I've only driven it 100 miles.

bpj911
05-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I have a new distributor I accidentally bought from TNTLR. I never used it. I'd let it go cheap. It's a genuine LR one. 712-299-2279

2manykids4a7
05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Bkreutz. Thanks for the info.

Jac04. Apparently the part works as a replacement for the Lucas distributor. Check out page 10 (actual page 41) of the flamethrower distributors section of the Pertronix catalog.

http://www.pertronix.com/catalogs/ignition/default.aspx

Bpj911. PM'd you.

Thank you everybody. Still open to more thoughts on the matter, and input from anyone who has this set up in their rover, or who has chosen to go other routes. Steve..

siiirhd88
05-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I have the Pertronix distributor from Summit in my 109 and it has been trouble free for over one year. I still run a stock type coil. I didn't pre lube the shaft prior to installation, and it chirped a bit when first fired up....

Bob
'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

LR Max
05-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I had to install a new distributor because I had the crappy Douche-ele french thingie. One drop of water within 3 feet of it and it would give up the ghost.

Bought a brand new 45D4, installed petronix, never had to fool with it again. Its pretty much awesome and I recommend that course of action.

2manykids4a7
05-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Thanks guys. From all that I have read the pertronix ignitor seems to get the nod over keeping the original points (with a caveat of keeping a set of points handy just in case). So I think I am going to make that switch for sure. I guess my question has morphed a little bit and has now become the following. Since I have to replace the distributor and I am choosing to go with a pertronix ignitor does it make more sense to switch to a pertronix distributor as well as the ignitor, or do I replace the distributor like for like and only change the points? Does it make any difference? What does everyone think?

P.S. Thanks for all the help, being able to bounce questions off those with more knowledge and experience is really helpful.

thixon
05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys. From all that I have read the pertronix ignitor seems to get the nod over keeping the original points (with a caveat of keeping a set of points handy just in case). So I think I am going to make that switch for sure. I guess my question has morphed a little bit and has now become the following. Since I have to replace the distributor and I am choosing to go with a pertronix ignitor does it make more sense to switch to a pertronix distributor as well as the ignitor, or do I replace the distributor like for like and only change the points? Does it make any difference? What does everyone think?

P.S. Thanks for all the help, being able to bounce questions off those with more knowledge and experience is really helpful.

Its really up to you. Both work fine. If you go with a 45d, and install the pertonix under the cap, you can carry points and condensor to cover a failure (as you said). If you go with the complete pertronix distributor, you could still just carry your old distributor around to get you home if need be. Either option yields the same results, so which one will cost less?

As far as the coil goes, I know people who run both stock coils for their cars, and the pertronix coils with pertronix units. I hav'nt heard much from anyone either way. If it were me, I'd read through the pertronix warranty to make sure there wasn't some goofy caveat that voided your distributor warranty if its used with anything other than a pertronix coil. I'm sure someone on this board can help with that.

I plan on going with the pertronix dist. you're looking at, so I'm wondering how this will work out for you. Keep us posted.

TedW
05-04-2010, 08:03 AM
I went to Pertronix a few years ago - coil, wires, the whole bit. Runs flawlessly. It is my understanding that if they are to fail it will be right after installation. Otherwise it's smooth sailing.

jac04
05-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I had heard that some of the knock-off 45D distributors were not of the best quality, that's why I went with a brand new Lucas 45D and installed the Pertronix Ignitor. Does Pertronix make their own distributor, or do they just buy an aftermarket, install their electronic ignition, and brand it with their name? Knowing that may help with your decision.

greenmeanie
05-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Just to throw in another data point I have run a Ducellier on my 88. The points are a really bad design. I replaced them with a Newtronics (I think they were bought out by Lumenition a while ago) optical pickup electronic ignition with Lucas sport coil. Its very simple and has done >100K miles with nothing more than the odd cap and rotor thrown at it. Oh, I also put a set of Magnecor leads on which was well worth the money as the stock Rover ones don't like the heat here and wouldn't last more than a year.

2manykids4a7
05-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks again to everyone for the advice. It seems like I have a variety of good options, so I thought I'd let the cheque book decide.

After a brief search it seems that the most cost effective way is to go with a new Pertronix distributor, and keep the old distributor with points as a spare if needed. And for now to stick with the existing coil, leads etc.

Before pulling the trigger I will check on the warranty. Not sure how to find out where Pertronix get their distributors from but it seems like people have had some good luck with them, so I will just have to chance that one.

Please don't hesitate to chime in if anyone has any more thoughts. I will post updates as and when they occur.

Steve..

Tsmith
05-05-2010, 04:33 PM
The only experience I have had with Pertronix is on another engine, a TR3a. It has been flawless for about 60,000 miles. I've used the Lucas coil, not the Pertronix. In the past 18 months, there have been several Pertronix coil failures...a bad batch, it would seem. The maker has been very responsive in replacing them, but until they solve the problem, it may be best to continue with your old coil. The TR coil is mounted to the engine block and subject to more vibration than a Series (imagine that!), so I may not be comparing apples to apples.

Tom Smith

jac04
05-05-2010, 06:36 PM
In the past 18 months, there have been several Pertronix coil failures...a bad batch, it would seem. The maker has been very responsive in replacing them, but until they solve the problem, it may be best to continue with your old coil.
Tom-
Any more detailed info on this? Were they the regular 'Flame Thrower' oil-filled coils or the epoxy-filled ones? Only asking because I'm using an epoxy-filled Pertronix Flame thrower coil that I purchased about 6 months ago.

ybt502r
05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
I run a Ducillier with Pertronix (all else stock). It's made a solid difference, and I could never see myself going back to points and condensor. It's been a couple years, and I've not really had to re-time the enigine since. I plan to give it a tune up this summer, so I'll look at it all, but it's worked so well that I've been very hesitant to "improve" it. Left it alone.

2manykids4a7
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Ordered the part today (Pertronix D176600). If anyone else is thinking of doing the same switch I found a retailer that had a price-match guarantee and free shipping right now. So I found the best deal I could (which beat their price by about $50) gave them a call and sure enough they matched it.

Having heard such good feedback from those who have made the switch already I'm excited to see the difference. I'll post again once everything is done.

Steve..

2manykids4a7
05-27-2010, 02:29 PM
The new pertronix distributor arrived the other day (took forever) and I had the chance to replace the old points one today. I work at the local community college so I took the Rover to work today and after teaching my class went by the automotive shop. This turned out to be a really good decision, the actual swap was very straight forward, after the switch it started right up and that was only after eyeballing it using the old one as a reference. It was running but not that well so the nice, knowledgeable guys there went about working on the timing. Everything is running pretty well but as always one job has opened the door to another!

The throttle shaft on the carb is worn, which if I understood correctly means that air can get into the carb thus making it run lean which would be another contributing factor to the exhaust popping sound. So moving forward my choices seem to be as follows.

1. Get the throttle shaft on the carb rebuilt. Trevor (the automotive teacher) recommended having this done by a professional as it requires some fairly specialized work to get new bushings put in place etc.

2. Get a new carb.

So I'm off to explore those options, cost etc. If anyone has thoughts I will start a new thread for advice etc.

Once I have all that taken care of I will complete this thread with my opinions on the pertronix. As of right now all I can say is the switch was easy and it hasn't made things worse.

Thanks in advance for any advice, help, questions. Steve..

P.S. One other issue we hit was when using the timing light we didn't get the best results with everything lined up. Trevor got it pretty well just by feel so we left it at that. I remember when I got the vehicle something about it being 12 degrees off. Any ideas?

2manykids4a7
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM
So after replacing the old distributor and points with the Pertronix, and now replacing the old carb with a new one, the rover is (for now!) running better than ever. Because of the 2 problems I obviously can't say for sure the difference the Pertronix made over the points but I don't think it has hurt anything. If nothing else it should mean less maintenance in the future, so all in all I am glad that I made the switch.

Steve..

bmohan55
07-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the information, good to know. After my engine rebuild (spun bearing) I will be putting on a pertronix also...in for a penny in for a pound.

disco2hse
07-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Mine is a Stage 1 V8 ex-FFR. It is still 24V. I have the Pertronix Flamethrower II coil and Ignitor II. Engine runs great and maintains spark and regularity throughout the rev range. Idle is stable and less loss of power on hills.