PDA

View Full Version : FM Allen Rover sighting

stomper
05-05-2010, 06:06 AM
So I recieved a catolog in the mail the other day. I have never heard of the store before, and to be honest, can't afford a thing they are selling. When I opened the cover, there is a whole photo shoot of a man in traditional english expedition garb, and posing with a beautiful old series IIA!

I checked their website, but there are no photos of the rover on there. Does anyone here own the truck? They are based out of Tennesee, but they also have a store in New York.

Do I get a coveted mug for this sighting for this Les? :)

Wander
05-05-2010, 08:23 AM
I just looked at their site-interesting selection. The camp chair looks impressive (and should be for the price). If the story is true FM Allen sounds like an interesting guy and maybe the bloke you spotted in the catalog as he was a safari guide in Kenya until the late 70's and only retired in 96 at age 90.

stomper
05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
The guy in the photo shoot was not him, It was a man in his 40's maybe. The camp chairs are known as Roorkee chairs, and were used by the british millitary in the 1900's (British Campaign furniture). I have found similar ones on the web for as low as $600, but still that's quite pricey (Melville & Moon). I thinkI need a couple for my rover though.

Wander
05-05-2010, 01:09 PM
The British Military sure did take camp furniture to a much higher level, I'd hate to take something that nice outside!