PDA

View Full Version : How to remove a hinge pin

amcordo
05-06-2010, 09:50 AM
This is a stupid question I'm sure. BUT. How do I remove a hinge pin? I've got the plain steel version of this:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5598-genuine-door-hinge-kit-defender-110-series-ii-iii-109-sw.aspx

And I'm getting it galvanized.

amcordo
05-06-2010, 01:08 PM
This is a stupid question I'm sure. BUT. How do I remove a hinge pin? I've got the plain steel version of this:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5598-genuine-door-hinge-kit-defender-110-series-ii-iii-109-sw.aspx

And I'm getting it galvanized.

I should have been more specific: how do I remove a truly stuck hinge pin? It bent two of my taps trying to get it out and it hasn't budged and inch.

Wander
05-06-2010, 01:24 PM
PB blaster and some time???

Is the door off a little-maybe putting a jack or something under the door to hold it and take the wieght off the hinge would help?

4flattires
05-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Hinge pin removal tool.

Available widely on the web. Locally you should find some as well, perhaps even via local auto parts rental programs.

thixon
05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Tony,

quite using taps for things like that! You'll just ruin more of 'em.

You can either get a hinge pin tool as mentioned earlier, or you can put the smoke wrench on it and try whacking it out with a drift pin punch.

amcordo
05-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Tony,

quite using taps for things like that! You'll just ruin more of 'em.

You can either get a hinge pin tool as mentioned earlier, or you can put the smoke wrench on it and try whacking it out with a drift pin punch.

You people and your "correct tools". I managed to remove all the other pins just fine. Pfff. Thanks for the hints though - never even thought a hinge pin tool existed.

scott
05-06-2010, 03:12 PM
You people and your "correct tools". I managed to remove all the other pins just fine. Pfff. Thanks for the hints though - never even thought a hinge pin tool existed.

you wouldn't need the "correct tools" if you had the correct hinges. to remove series' hinge pins you just need a gerber pocket tool and a beer

amcordo
05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
you wouldn't need the "correct tools" if you had the correct hinges. to remove series' hinge pins you just need a gerber pocket tool and a beer

Actually, this begs a question. Any idea why the PO switched over to the hinges I have? Are there benefits to these box hinges as opposed to the armature ones that were original?

thixon
05-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Land Rover made that decision for you. You have the correct SIII hinges. I suppose you could go to II/IIA hinges if you chose to though.

amcordo
05-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Land Rover made that decision for you. You have the correct SIII hinges. I suppose you could go to II/IIA hinges if you chose to though.

Ohhh! Didn't know these WERE original to the S3. Nice of them to make decisions for me.

NickDawson
05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I have that style on my III too - but have not had to take them off.
I'm a convert, I've seen the light and the truth that is PB Blaster - good spritz, 2x a day for a few days does wonders!

Broadstone
05-06-2010, 06:53 PM
f they are old just buy new ones as the pin comes right out, I just painted my new ones and the pins came right out. They are cheap and they solve a lot of the sagging door problem when they are new.