PDA

View Full Version : Salisbury Rear Diff question

Winooski
05-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I seem to be having a hard time locating a clear answer. There are no active issues at the moment, but with the weather improving and the truck being used a lot more, I just want to be prepared.

1) How often should the oil in a Salisbury rear diff be changed?
2) Where exactly are the drain and fill plugs?
3) Any other key maintenance facts/isssues/guidance/wisdom/voodoo I should know about regarding Salisbury diffs?

FYI, she's a 72 ex-mod Series III 109 pick-up

Thanks in advacne,

Patrick

SafeAirOne
05-06-2010, 12:13 PM
1) According to the 90/110 WSM, every 24,000 mi

2) Drain-bottom of diff. Fill-Rear cover of diff.

3) No.

Winooski
05-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks!

LR Max
05-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Pinion seals go out as well. Mine is toasted. For replacement, put new seal in freezer overnight. Get a seal removal tool (worth the $7!!) and remove the old one. While cold, get the new one and install.

Good to go.

Rear hub assemblies are eggzactly the same as the rover hubs...in fact, parts are interchangeable.

If you like to off road, install a rear detroit. Its cheap and easy (the locker replaces the spider gears so no need to reset the diff housing). Also with a 109, you won't notice it too much until you are on the trail (upon which you shall be awesome).

The flanges are weak. Keep an eye on em/have a spare.

You'll like the salisbury.

TeriAnn
05-07-2010, 08:02 AM
3) Any other key maintenance facts/isssues/guidance/wisdom/voodoo I should know about regarding Salisbury diffs?

The drive flanges wear and need to be replaced periodically. If you start hearing a clunk when you come to a stop it is usually the slack between the rear drive flanges and the axle splines. It only takes a few minutes to replace a pair of drive flanges (be sure to torque the bolts properly) or you can spend the money on aftermarket harder steel drive flanges.

Series axle breathers stick very easily. The oil film on the ball easily sticks the ball to its seat with enough force to cause pressure to vent through the pinion seal. A cure is to replace the Series style breather with a Defender style breather.