PDA

View Full Version : switching e-brake from RHD to LHD

masonater
05-07-2010, 11:23 PM
My 1970 IIa 109 ex mod started life as a RHD, some years back it was converted to LHD. The e-brake did not get changed over. Never bothered me until I found a LHD set up at a junkyard so I got it thinking it might bolt on and I would just have to switch the blank cover to the other side. Not the case. The rover is down to the frame so getting around is no problem. The place where the junkyard part should mount on the drivers side of my frame has an exhaust hanger bracket not one for the ebrake like ive seen on some other rigs. What are some ideas how to make this work? Is this a fab job?

greenmeanie
05-08-2010, 12:27 AM
If you want it to be stock then it is a fab job. You nee the cross bar and the whole linkage. You'd then have to fab the mount on to the chassis which isnot difficult if you can weld.

If you don't want that complexity you could look at the set up on a 110 or 101 with an LT95 which uses a bowden cableto actuate the hand brake drum. I belive a lot of yacht chandlers make up bowden cables so you can get something to fit.

kevin-ct
05-08-2010, 05:45 AM
I would not change it! By having the handle on the other side it give yo more leg room. On my Series three that I just sold I was going to install the RHD unit to give me more leg room but never did.

On My Series 2a that's for sale I might do the same thing and change it to RHD
e-brake for more leg room.(if I keep it)

I think that you may know a friend of my, he has a Defender 110 that on the Island (now in CT) It's heading back up to Nantucket Island next month, I just need to install a t-box before it goes.

Cheers,

masonater
05-08-2010, 08:18 AM
I didn't even think about the leg room factor! good point. I think I will keep it RHD, plus the passengers get a kick out of turning on my key and disengaging the ebrake anyway...Thanks for the input!

Kevin ct- I'm sure I would recognize your friends 110, I would be willing to bet that there are more D90's and for sure more 110's on Nantucket in the summer season than anywhere in the country. Many of the beasts ECR builds I see all summer long and always stop and give them a good inspection.

Funny story, years ago some zillionaire saw my 109 on island and asked me what it was, he had no clue...I gave him a tour around the truck and he fell in love. The next summer he found me and showed his brand new 71 109 that he had built over the winter!

kevin-ct
05-08-2010, 08:38 AM
the son's name is Will, Last name is a air plain manufacture.

Look for a white 110 with Ct plates on it.

solihull109
05-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Many of the beasts ECR builds I see all summer long and always stop and give them a good inspection.

Keep an eye out, BR130 is headed there!:)

masonater
05-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Anyone want to start a Rover service/upgrade center on island with me? Plenty of year rounders have discos and range rovers too that would keep us busy in the winter months as they always need some sort of repairs...

always been a dream of mine...