PDA

View Full Version : Military Model IIA?

dgraham29
05-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I have a 1967 Series IIA 88" 2.25 liter engine station wagon.
How can I tell if it is a military model, as the search for certain replacement parts point to it being a military model?
Will engine serial number identify this?
Thanks.

greenmeanie
05-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Chassis #

Terrys
05-09-2010, 04:52 PM
An ExMod 2A will have a chassis ID plate attached to the bulkhead, as well as the LR Id plate. Most 109s and many 88s had 2 fuel tanks, which were filled by lifting each seat. They also have different lights, whose lenses screw on into threaded bases (the whole lenses rotates, not held by the usual 2 small screws) In place of the heater core, mounted underneath the bonnet on a civi, the heater was the flat Smiths with integral blower. In place of the heater core, beneath the bonnet, was a tool box.
Wiring is quite different, with 6 postion convoy light switch instead of normal civi headlight switch. lots of other differences.

discodisco
05-09-2010, 05:43 PM
http://www.emlra.org/

Good UK site for ExMOD wealth of info

scott
05-10-2010, 07:41 AM
rear xmbrs look way different and transmission xmbr is bolted not welded on

jgkmmoore
05-21-2010, 02:29 PM
front frame horns/shackles longer with xtra set of boltholes(for desert use).
Rear crossmember is rectanglular end to end....not tapered at ends like the civvy. Looks like a 2X4 board.

greenmeanie
05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
If the data plates are missing in the cab the ONLY way to determine if a LR is ex MOD is the chassis #. There are many resons for saying this as not all MOD Land Rovers are the same. Both 109s and 88s were bought in LHD & RHD configuration, 12V GS & 24V FFR. Then there were a slew of CL models which were basically civvy trucks with basic mods to lighting to bring them in line with military use. These could be soft top, hard top and the RN even bought station wagons. They are, however, all military vehicles.

The extended frame horns for the suspension were a feature of 109 GS trucks only. I have not seen an 88 with hte squared off military x member but that does not mean they weren't built.

Typically the MOD preferred its lightweights so comparitively few Rover Mk8s were ever in service. Things that might identify it as a military truck are a 24V electrical system, strengthenend front axle (Look for a piece of angle iron welded along the bottom of the long side of the axle tube), 6 way lighting switch, a mount for a convoy lamp that would shine on the rear diff.

jgkmmoore
05-23-2010, 04:32 AM
I mis-spoke (political expression)......:cool:
Sorry. I often forget that anything but the Ex Mod 109 GS exists, and base my suggestions on that limited knowledge..........:o

No 'bighorns' or rectangular rear x-members on 88's.:o

Nice catch, Meanie. I owe ya 2.:p:p