PDA

View Full Version : Window Track - Beckson Channel-Mate Window Track

amcordo
05-11-2010, 10:06 AM
So there've been several threads, but I don't know that I've seen one asking about this product. Anyone used it to replace the existing window tracks in their front door windows?

http://www.starboardsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/3004598

xsbowes
05-12-2010, 06:07 PM
I have used it on both the double windows on the hardtop and on the doortops. I only did the bottom on the hardtop, top tracks were still pristine and did not want to remove them if not necessary. The door tops came out pretty good, used some silicon for aluminum and flashing to fill any small gaps. I have since sold the truck with the doortops but still have the hardtop.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2073/10249131/19458865/376628470.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2073/10249131/19458865/376628456.jpg

ArlowCT
05-12-2010, 09:00 PM
I have been looking at something just like that for years now. I dream of the day my rover will now longer grow moss in the window tracks!!!!!!

Just kills me to spend all that money to replace with original tracks only to have it all rot out in a few years and look like he!!.

Shop around there are a ton of places that sell it. Single, double, white, black........ and so on. Hope you get to it quicker than I have.

Good Luck

SafeAirOne
05-13-2010, 07:20 AM
I've used the plastic track from Beckson on one side of the rear hardtop on my 109. I'm not terribly impressed. It's pretty expensive considering it's a plastic extrusion and the 2 channels are too close together, making the windows too close together where they bypass. I couldn't use the ruber "wiper" seal between the 2 windows because the 2 tracks were so close together--I had to pull it off and turn it around so the ruber "wiper" points to the inside, doing nothing.

I have no idea how xsbowes used the Beckson double track in the bottom channel, but was still able to use the stock channels on the front, back and top, unless perhaps 2 single-channel beckson tracks were used on the bottom (not the double-channel), though the single-channel tracks don't come in black.

I wrote my project results up here (http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/reply/34738#reply-34738).

I think your best bet would be to find a stainless steel track that is rubber coated.

amcordo
05-13-2010, 08:09 AM
I've used the plastic track from Beckson on one side of the rear hardtop on my 109. I'm not terribly impressed. It's pretty expensive considering it's a plastic extrusion and the 2 channels are too close together, making the windows too close together where they bypass. I couldn't use the ruber "wiper" seal between the 2 windows because the 2 tracks were so close together--I had to pull it off and turn it around so the ruber "wiper" points to the inside, doing nothing.

I have no idea how xsbowes used the Beckson double track in the bottom channel, but was still able to use the stock channels on the front, back and top, unless perhaps 2 single-channel beckson tracks were used on the bottom (not the double-channel), though the single-channel tracks don't come in black.

I wrote my project results up here (http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/reply/34738#reply-34738).

I think your best bet would be to find a stainless steel track that is rubber coated.

Thank you everyone for your help! I don't have the wipers that go on the windows (thought sometimes I wish I did), so that issue doesn't matter to me. It's great that you mentioned it, though, because future readers may have all their parts!

Question: did you use the 1/4 inch Beckson channels? They also have other increments.

TedW
05-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Does anyone here have experience with the rubber track Ray Wood (of Roverdrive fame) sells? Sounds pretty good - I am a huge fan of Ray's stuff, and everything I've bought from him has been first-rate.

I bought Ray's extruded door tops before he came out with his window track, so I went to a local marine-supply store and bought some stainless window track - it has the fuzzy stuff inside and a delrin strip on the bottom of the groove for E-Z sliding. After 5+ years of Maine snow and salt they still look new.

IMO the marine-supply route is a good way to go, as they are always concerned with corrosion.

Just my $.02

siiirhd88
05-13-2010, 08:51 AM
I have Ray's stainless and rubber tracks in the back sliding window of the pickup cab. Simple to install, a good fit and easy and quiet operation. I sealed everything with a thin bead of black silicone caulk. No leaks so far.

Bob

'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

crankin
05-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Does anyone here have experience with the rubber track Ray Wood (of Roverdrive fame) sells? Sounds pretty good - I am a huge fan of Ray's stuff, and everything I've bought from him has been first-rate.

I bought Ray's extruded door tops before he came out with his window track, so I went to a local marine-supply store and bought some stainless window track - it has the fuzzy stuff inside and a delrin strip on the bottom of the groove for E-Z sliding. After 5+ years of Maine snow and salt they still look new.

IMO the marine-supply route is a good way to go, as they are always concerned with corrosion.

Just my $.02

I do. I put them in my rig about 3 months ago. It was very simple to put in, too. Six channels, screws and instructions come in the order. You have to cut two in half to make the sides. After I installed everything I went back and sprayed silicone spray over everything to get a little better slide going.

I also have the door tops from roverdrive. The windows slide wonderfully on these too. I would suggest these to anyone.

kevkon
05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/window-channel-8-dbl-s-s-rigid-31-32w-x-29-64h-132964-/4,8735.html

stomper
05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Are you referring to the Rocky Mountain door tops, or does roverdrive make a different type? I just bought a set of Rocky Mountain tops, they arrived about 30 minutes ago. look great, can't wait to get home to install them.

TedW
05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Are you referring to the Rocky Mountain door tops, or does roverdrive make a different type? I just bought a set of Rocky Mountain tops, they arrived about 30 minutes ago. look great, can't wait to get home to install them.

Ray Wood = Rocky Mountain = Roverdrive

amcordo
05-13-2010, 11:40 AM
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/window-channel-8-dbl-s-s-rigid-31-32w-x-29-64h-132964-/4,8735.html

These S/S ones look great; $50/eight feet is a good deal of money!

TedW
05-13-2010, 11:56 AM
These S/S ones look great; $50/eight feet is a good deal of money!

These could be the same ones I have; I used to share a building with Hamilton Marine in Portland and bought my tracks there. Very nice.

TeriAnn
05-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Does anyone here have experience with the rubber track Ray Wood (of Roverdrive fame) sells?

I've had them on the rear side sliding windows of my Dormobile for about a year and a half now. They were a little tight when I first put them on so I did not install the latches and switched ends between the two panes every few weeks to stretch the channels. Now they slide easily.

The spacing is a little too close for the vertical wiper rubber that goes on the outer glass pane so I cut it down some.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/GRdetailPics/windowChanXsectionRM.jpg

So far I'm a happy customer. No sign of moss yet.

vkjar
05-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Wiseowl rover parts sells the rubber channel from Rocky MTN.

coltsphan
05-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey all. I am in the wood window restoration biz and my supplier, CR Laurence, has the two window strips at Hamilton Marine listed previously. The part #s are Y58396 for the double channel and 16M96 for the edge piece. If we can get to to 50 pieces the double channel is only $40 for an 8' piece. The edge piece would be $35 for an 8' piece.

SafeAirOne
05-21-2010, 07:11 PM
If we can get to to 50 pieces the double channel is only $40 for an 8' piece. The edge piece would be $35 for an 8' piece.

That's something I might be quite interested in....

printjunky
05-21-2010, 08:57 PM
I'd be down. Takes two hands to get the driver's side slid! Might pose a safety hazard :nono: Count me in.

btw, what are you referring to when you say "edge piece?" I might've missed it in this thread. I'll go back and look.

SafeAirOne
05-22-2010, 05:35 AM
btw, what are you referring to when you say "edge piece?" I might've missed it in this thread. I'll go back and look.

I think he means the single-channel piece for the vertical pieces on the rear windows (as opposed to the 2-track horizontal pieces that allow the rear windows to bypass each other).

coltsphan
05-22-2010, 07:19 AM
The edge piece is the one that goes on the middle edge of one of the pieces fo glass to seal them when they are closed. They also have the single channel material to go on the vertical sides of the window frame.