PDA

View Full Version : Center Line Boring Cam Shaft Bearings 2.25

Drain Rovers2
05-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I have a 2.25 liter series motor. That I am rebuilding, Everything has been stripped, including all bearings freeze plugs ect. There is a complete over haul being done, i took out the cam bearings in hopes of replacing them (thought it was a good idea) I have the motor at a reputable machine shop. They are having extreme trouble finding a shop that will line bore the bearings. Since they are split bearings they will have to make sure that they are all in line when they bore them out or also known as "reeming". Does anyone know anthing about this, I have been told that line boring is common, I need a quick solution becuase the bearings are holding up my entire build.
Thanks

kevkon
05-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Why do you want to line bore the cam bearing bores? That will require oversize bearings when complete. Was there excessive wear or damage to the bearings or bores?

SafeAirOne
05-11-2010, 08:59 PM
You don't bore/ream the BORES, you install the new cam bearings and then have them reamed inline, custom sizing them to your camshaft.

I just got my 2.5 block back from the machine shop a week and a half ago. I supplied the cam bearings and my camshaft and they didn't have any trouble understanding what needed to be done or actually doing it. I also supplied the machine shop with the relevant pages from the WSM.

I installed the camshaft 3 days ago and it fit like a glove.

I would suggest that if this is confounding your machinists, you may want to hunt around for a different shop.

109 Pretender
05-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Yep! Safe Air is absolutely correct - there's nothing special about line honing the new cam bearings once they are installed. If the "machine shop" doesn't understand or is unable to do it - grab your stuff and get that block outta the building now!
ANY quality shop with engine machinists that know what they are doing should be able to do this for around 50 bucks.

If they tell you it's because it's a Rover engine or any other baloney - they really should not be doing this kind of business. The Rover engine is a classic OHV design and nothing should be a mystery to a competent shop.

Good Luck!

Drain Rovers2
05-12-2010, 02:06 PM
You don't bore/ream the BORES, you install the new cam bearings and then have them reamed inline, custom sizing them to your camshaft.

I just got my 2.5 block back from the machine shop a week and a half ago. I supplied the cam bearings and my camshaft and they didn't have any trouble understanding what needed to be done or actually doing it. I also supplied the machine shop with the relevant pages from the WSM.

I installed the camshaft 3 days ago and it fit like a glove.

I would suggest that if this is confounding your machinists, you may want to hunt around for a different shop.
What machine shop did you use? and i will have a convorsation with the machine shop today.

SafeAirOne
05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
What machine shop did you use? and i will have a convorsation with the machine shop today.

I just used the machine shop from my local auto parts store (a real auto parts store where they don't need a computer and vehicle information to get you a part). Specifically, it was Sanel Auto Parts Machine Shop (I don't think thay have any stores in CT). Check with a decent auto parts store in your area.

CliftonRover
05-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Ethan my shop doesn't have a boring bar that long, we don't do much engine work. The guy that runs the shop has a ton of machining equipment at his house where he might be able to do it, I will talk to him tomorrow morning.