PDA

View Full Version : Leaky rear

crankin
05-12-2010, 08:33 PM
This is what I have replaced... and everything was fine for about four weeks.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/S-tWPjIfN9I/AAAAAAAABH4/aG7jfIF2WXY/seals.jpg

And this is what I have now....

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/S-tWPrVl_EI/AAAAAAAABH8/KU-E4UbUE_c/s800/DSC04165.JPG

What am I missing here? I drove about 200 miles to get it here to Huntsville and the truck has been sitting in the same place for about three days now... and the 90w is dripping out of both of my rear brakes.

daveb
05-12-2010, 08:41 PM
check the breather on top of the axle. if its clear then you might need to change the seal distance pieces on the stub axles.

Terrys
05-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Take the breather off the axle and make sure it's clean. If it's plugged, as they often are, they can leak from the pressure buildup when the oil gets hot. Looks black, but on the off chance it's brake fluid, check your master cylinder to see it's full.
I'm sure you knew what you were doing when you replace the inner seals, but they can get torn if not replaced with great care. Also, the stub axle may have a worn groove in it, in which case, even a new seal willleak some.

kevin-ct
05-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Take the drum off to inspect the leak. Hows the seal race on the spindle?

jac04
05-12-2010, 08:51 PM
crankin-
PM me if you need new oil seals or seal races.
I bought a set of four RTC3510 seals and four 599698 seal races (all Genuine parts) before I realized that they wouldn't work with my later type hubs.

kevin-ct
05-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Take the drum off to inspect the leak. Hows the seal race on the spindle?

****, I type slow! :thumb-up:

crankin
05-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Have not thought about the breather. Will check that.

I did not change the seal race... I have a set here. But was not sure what I should be looking for to see if that was a problem. What do worn out seal races look like? That could very well be what the cause is.

JackIIA
05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
well if it does turn out to be the breather, you might replace the brass breather with the hose style breathers that screw into the axle and vent out the far end. I think that's an improvement over the little ball bearing approach of the brass fittings, assuming you don't kink the hose. RN sells them.

crankin
05-13-2010, 09:15 AM
If it is the axle breather...
Are my seals shot now and I have to replace them?

kevkon
05-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Not necessarily, it just means that positive pressure was accumulating in the rear and pushing oil past the seals. The same holds true for the engine and trans, positive pressure will cause a migration at the weakest link.

crankin
05-13-2010, 09:29 AM
OK. Good deal. Looks like I have found the project for tonight.

Replacing seal race and checking breather.