PDA

View Full Version : Wheel color

bkreutz
05-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I've done some searching on this forum, as well as looking at pictures from various other places. The question I have is there a standard color for the wheels? I've seen a lot of light colored ones (presumably this is "Limestone") but then I see other pictures that appear period and the wheels are dark. Were there options, or are these dark ones "owner painted"? I'm trying to decide what to do with my wheels which have remnants of various colors (white, black, marine blue, and some other "undetermined" colors) Thanks

TriedStone
05-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks to TeriAnn:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Series_Land_Rover_paint.html

However my 59 SII hard top wheels are Limestone to match the top. I have every reason to believe they are original as "most" everything else on the truck is.

bkreutz
05-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks, that answers the wheel question, next question (after reading TeriAnns descriptions), what's the difference between a "station wagon" and a "regular". Not entirely sure what I have.
Edit: think I found the answer, somebody let me know if I'm wrong. A station wagon 88 has 3 doors, while a regular has 2 (with I presume a tailgate and lift door in the back).

nathanwind
05-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Not sure if this helps...but I've got a '71 Series IIA 88 that had the limestone top & limestone wheels. Mine were the original (6) 15" steel rims and were begining to show some rust. Anyhow, I had them sandblasted and then powdercoated. Well, the first iteration was WAY too light...so I had them redone. The 2nd time around was a PERFECT match. I went off the RAL color chart, and the #1015 Light Ivory was exactly like the original limestone. Best $150 (x2 to have them redone) I ever spent.

Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'83 110 ROW
'06 LR3 HSE

bkreutz
05-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks Jason, I'm going to run that number past my powdercoater and see if I get the "What are you talking about" look. Hopefully not.

yorker
05-14-2010, 06:55 AM
A real SW should have the tropical top, 3 doors, 4 seats in the rear, sliding windows int he rear. I think IIas usually had body colored roof and sides and the wheels matched the body color, the sun sheet was limestone. SW's also probablly had a delux bonnet.
Some of those distinctions were somewhat blurred here in North America. We seem to have got more options at lower trim levels.

amcordo
05-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Great question for a thread! I'd love to see some photos posted here of all the different options folks have used to see what looks best!

Andrew IIA
05-14-2010, 07:42 AM
A real SW should have the tropical top, 3 doors, 4 seats in the rear, sliding windows int he rear. I think IIas usually had body colored roof and sides and the wheels matched the body color, the sun sheet was limestone. SW's also probablly had a delux bonnet.
Some of those distinctions were somewhat blurred here in North America. We seem to have got more options at lower trim levels.
Right. I have seen a few station wagons without deluxe bonnets, but mine has the deluxe, which also is dished for the spare tire, but I've seen un-dished ones as well. Wheels and sun-sheeted rooftop are limestone (actually the wheels are rustoleum almond I think). Front window top frames and rear window sides are body-colored. Wagons should have lots of lovely deluxe interior trim (door and side/rear panels, rear head pad and above-the-windscreen panels).

My '63 SIIA SW : http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkalley/sets/72157610584998247/

TriedStone
05-14-2010, 08:32 AM
I think the designation station wagon has more to do with the number of doors? A station wagon did not have to have a tropical top. That was an option as well as the bonnet mounted spare. Not sure about the interior, anyone have a wagon without deluxe interior?

and keeping with the thread wheels are round and painted.:D

Erik M.
05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Andrew, I know I have said it before, but it bears repeating: I love your truck.

bkreutz
05-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys, this is really helping with the "planning" phase. I've found that the more time spent on thinking about what to do on a restoration (before you do it:D) saves time and money down the road. (I've done many restorations, but this is my first on a LR)

TriedStone
05-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys, this is really helping with the "planning" phase. I've found that the more time spent on thinking about what to do on a restoration (before you do it:D) saves time and money down the road. (I've done many restorations, but this is my first on a LR)
Good luck and start a thread when you start your restoration. Post lost of pic's.

Andrew IIA
05-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Andrew, I know I have said it before, but it bears repeating: I love your truck.
It helps to hear this now and then.... 'cause the trucks driving me crazy with an elusive problem at the moment :rolleyes:

I think the Sun Sheet was a must for true Station Wagons (at least until they eliminated the sun sheet), but I don't mind being wrong (again).

I added some old ad scans: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkalley/sets/72157610584998247/

Edit: Added (from the ECR Site), although my truck was never fitted with the bulkhead vent bug screens;

"The Station Wagon package was available on both the 88 and 109. The vehicle's main feature was the tropical top. The top had a sun shield and 4 vents in the roof that let air into and out of the vehicle. It also had the trademark "alpine windows" , which allowed the rear passengers a better view, and more light. The 88 Station Wagon was sometimes called a 7 seater Land-Rover because it had 4 individual jump seats in the rear cargo area for passengers. The 109 Safari Wagon had two versions, a 10 seater, and a 12 seater. The difference was the length of the jump seat in the cargo area and the middle seat. A longer bench jump seat was offered to accomodate the 12 passengers. The Station Wagon also had a deluxe bonnet, dual oil pressure/ water temp. gauge, bug screens on the bulkhead vents, and 16" wheels. It can be distinguished from the other Land-Rovers by the above options and the addition of a badge, below the oval Land-Rover logos front and rear, that reads, "4 wheel drive station wagon". Production of the Station Wagon package was dropped with the introduction of the Late Series IIA's in approximately 1968."

badvibes
05-14-2010, 11:30 AM

The last line seems to apply here. My '64 IIA SW has the deluxe dished hood, 3 doors, had the headliner and padded door panels etc, sliding rear windows, appeared to have color matched wheels and hard top. Don't know about how many or what type of rear seats as they were already gone when I got the truck. My hard top does not have alpine windows or evidence of ever having a tropical skin or roof vents. But it is definitely tagged as a SW.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2nk04ns.jpg

Andrew IIA
05-15-2010, 08:39 AM
My hard top does not have alpine windows or evidence of ever having a tropical skin or roof vents. But it is definitely tagged as a SW.

Interesting. Unusual :thumb-up:

SafeAirOne
05-15-2010, 03:12 PM
My hard top does not have alpine windows or evidence of ever having a tropical skin or roof vents. But it is definitely tagged as a SW.

My 109 SW HAS the tropical top, roof vents and alpine windows, but is definitely not tagged a "station wagon". :)

TriedStone
05-15-2010, 03:25 PM
My 109 SW HAS the tropical top, roof vents and alpine windows, but is definitely not tagged a "station wagon". :)
That would follow along the lines of what Andrew posted from ECR since its a 73 and the SW package was dropped in 68.

The more I try to research the history and construction of the Series truck the more frustrated I become. I have yet to find a complete and accurate resource for correct restoration covering what was built when and how. I would like to be able to hop on plane and go across the pond and get some answers, and a spot of tea.