PDA

View Full Version : sputtered and died on the road

vkjar
05-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Driving to Granite Falls Washington. My truck started sputtering then lost power and died. I first thought it was a clogged carb. But after having a look through it itb was supplying fuel. Even at full throttle it would barely run. After a while it would no longer start. Couple of nasty backfires. Thinking now it might be the coil or distributor. The truck does not seem to be firing on all cylinders.

Please help

How hot is a coil supposed to get?

Cheers

mongoswede
05-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Driving to Granite Falls Washington. My truck started sputtering then lost power and died. I first thought it was a clogged carb. But after having a look through it itb was supplying fuel. Even at full throttle it would barely run. After a while it would no longer start. Couple of nasty backfires. Thinking now it might be the coil or distributor. The truck does not seem to be firing on all cylinders.

Please help

How hot is a coil supposed to get?

Cheers

a healthy coil really should not be getting hot...at least a modern one. If yours is getting toasty I would put a new one in there. Was it raining or excessively damp when your truck died?

vkjar
05-16-2010, 08:46 AM
No the weather was sunny and warm the truck was running great and the sputtering slowly got louder but the engine still seemed to pull strong. It then started to cough and cut out and finally died.

The coil was quite hot. A lucas sports coil!

NickDawson
05-16-2010, 09:29 AM
How do the points look? Any black carbon around them, still in good condition?

vkjar
05-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Points n everything look good and clean. New last year.

NickDawson
05-16-2010, 10:12 AM
I'be been reading and re-reading this all morning, working on my own electrical issues...
http://www.custompistols.com/cars/articles/ignition.htm
might trigger a thought or be of some help.

Nium
05-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Adjust the point gap to .016". If you're running a 25D4 (dome cap) dizzy check the low tension lead is in good condition. Reset the timing after resetting the point gap.

If the points are completely closed the coil would get hot because it would have a constant connection to ground. Check the point gap before replacing anything.

Cheers

onecross
05-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Make sure your float doesn't have gas in it. Just last week my truck would sputter on the highway but it would still have power until i would slow down to turn or stop at a light then it would flood and die. I put a new float in and it runs great(you can hear the gas in the float if its bad)
Best of luck!
-Mat

vkjar
05-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Any chance the fuel pump could be over pumping and flooding the engine?

The fuel filter would be absollutly full and under pressure. I would drain it and it would fill back up.

hughwilton
05-17-2010, 11:50 PM
I had a similar problem last week with my 109. It was found that the rooter was loose & the plastic was worn allowing to much movement.
My 2cents'
Hugh

scott
05-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Any chance the fuel pump could be over pumping and flooding the engine?

The fuel filter would be absollutly full and under pressure. I would drain it and it would fill back up.

doubt the pump is over working but if the float valve is stuck closed that might presurize the line. don't know why it would stick closed though. it's constantly awash in petrol and gravity and the pump pressure opens it

jgkmmoore
05-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Granite Falls Triangle. I've been a victim there.:mad:
Whatever was it? Was it the LT lead in the dizzy by any chance?:confused:
Hop you got it home.

Jeff