PDA

View Full Version : Towing a Series III

nate6472
05-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Any issues with towing an SIII 88" using one of those trailers where the front wheels are off the ground? Thanks

rejeep
05-17-2010, 02:04 PM
no experience with towing rovers on a dolly..
but plenty with early CJ jeeps..

I have always pulled the rear driveshaft.. as long as the bearings are good on the axle the vehicle will tow just fine..

problems happen when the driveshaft is left in place and drive trains aren’t put completely in neutral, or there is poor lubrication in the gearbox because the engine is not turning it.
I have also had problems with vehicles with automatic front lockers and non manual hubs..

for the time it takes.. disco the rear shaft and you don’t have to worry about anything.

Wander
05-17-2010, 02:48 PM
If it's an option rent the full trailer from U-haul. I brought me IIa home with one and it was only $98 (one way rental, 2 days allowed).

galen216
05-17-2010, 03:05 PM
I've flat towed and used a trailer. Personally I wouldn't use a dolly unless I removed the rear driveshaft. It's the only way I wouldn't worry the whole time I was towing. Really you only need remove the driveshaft at the diff and hang it in in the frame but total removal is a better piece of mind.

nate6472
05-17-2010, 03:20 PM
What if you put the rear on the dolly and front on the road? Are the risks less?

bobzinak
05-17-2010, 03:36 PM
If you going to tow the rover often, you could always buy a set of freewheeling hubs for the back axle. that way you wouldn't have to diconnect the drive shaft...

Mike26
05-17-2010, 05:55 PM
I towed my series behind my discovery using a dolly for about 400 miles round trip and it was fine. Well, I take that back, the tire fell off the series at one part.... make sure to tighten those lug nuts real well!!!!

rejeep
05-17-2010, 06:16 PM
When everything works dollys are great... better fuel economy and you can travel a bit faster if you have a heavy vehicle (brakes)

all you need it to hit one bump and something in the cab knocks a lever, or something jiggles the wrong way and POW.. drivetrain all over the HWY...

you can tow vehicles backwards on dollys as long as there is a good column lock and you run the seat belt through the steering wheel to act as a brace..
but this should only be done is the rear wheels are inoperable.

Everything mentioned above I have had personal experience with...

Do yourself a favor and pull the shaft at the pumpkin and bungee cord it to the chassis out of the way.. you wont have to think about anything but the drive.

masonater
05-17-2010, 10:40 PM
I towed my 109 soft top 1000 miles with my grand cherokee V8 on a U haul dolly. In a snow storm from nantucket ma, to louisville ky and had some hills to deal with. Got about 8 miles per gallon and never went over 60 so that was lame but all in all it wasn't that bad. I put the front on the dolly and removed the rear axle shafts and put the flanges back on and away I went. the truck was loaded with random parts too so had some extra weight. My advice is make sure your towing rig has some nice fresh brakes.

scott
05-18-2010, 10:19 AM
flat towed an 88 w/ a lr3 over 800 mi, no problems. 88 in 4th, transfer case in nuetral and front hubs unlocked. got up to some stupid speeds too