PDA

View Full Version : oil sump removal tricks?

griswald
05-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Ok,
Tried to drop the sump pan last weekend. Did it on an earlier rover I had years ago without much trouble. Not this time though...

Any tricks for separating the sump from the bottom of the block? (I used a rubber mallet, and tried to "pry" it off but after about 20 minutes, gave up)

Thanks,
Griswald

scott
05-18-2010, 09:59 AM
maybe some pb blaster and definantly some beer. a rubber mallot should do the trick. put on some tunes, grab some beer and just tap at it. i find working on my roves at a pace simalar to how they move (slow) keeps me from unrelaxing

bkreutz
05-18-2010, 10:20 AM
One method I use in this situation is to tap a putty knife blade between the block and the pan, then tap it along the joint line. One thing to be careful of when using this method is not to drive the blade too far in, you want it just as deep as the width of the mating flange. The problem with trying to loosen with a rubber mallet is that if the gasket was installed with "sealer", it's hard to get enough shock around the whole surface of the pan. You want to use the thinnest putty knife you have. (I've got a couple that I reserve for this purpose).