PDA

View Full Version : Series IIA Speedometer Cable

dgraham29
05-18-2010, 04:00 PM
I replaced the speedometer cable in my '67 IIA, but find that the cable is not turning when vehicle in motion. Is the problem likely in the transmission unit housing the speedometer cable gear assembly?
If so, can it be repaired externally or must transmission be taken apart?
My Haynes manual is silent on this.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

LaneRover
05-18-2010, 05:12 PM
The speedo cable bolts to the transfer case with 3 bolts/screws/whatever.

There is a chance that where it attaches to the transfer case it is loose.

I would remove the speedo cable from the transfer case and with the transfer case in neutral and one of the back wheels off the ground you should be able to turn the rear drive shaft by hand and see if the speedo gear is turning (I think) where the speedo cable bolts into the transfer case.

If the actual speedo gear is not turning within the transfer case then you are past my level of expertise in this matter as I have never had my transfer case apart.

With the cable off of the truck (or unhooked at each end) does one end of the cable spin if you attach a drill to the other?

Good luck!

bobzinak
05-23-2010, 11:14 PM
I would have expected all these lr fans would of posted to help you, I'm a litle dissapointed that they haven't. I'll try to give you an answer. If the problem is in your tranny it can be only a few things. the square drive hole in the speedo output of the transmission is not square anymore and just spins around your new cable. if you look at your new cable it may be the type that instead of being swedged square it is oval shaped, and is not swedged very far up the cable and going iinto the square drive of the tranny goes to far in past the swedged part of the cable. I had this very problem with my new cable and it just about drove me crazy. I put a battery drill on the end of the cable and urning counter clockwise at high speed would run the speedo to about forty mph. this told me that the speedo was ok. if the square drive in the tranny was messed up like mine was, the square part of the drive is only about an 1/8 inch thick and can easily be buggered up. I drilled mine out with a small drill bit and inserted a piece of 1/8 inch square tubing that I got at a hobby store, it will only be about 3/4 oof an inch long, if you bend up the end driving it in use the square end of a small file to square it up again. that will give you a longer square drive section to turn the cable. you cannot remove the speedo drive gear housing without removing the intermediate shaft that interfers with the two screws holding it in..another possible source of your problem is a slipping speedo drive gear. you can see if it is slipping by just placing a small screwdriver into the square drive hole on the tranny and see if it turns easily,(also a cause of speedo wandering). To tighten speedo drive gear remove rear driveshaft at emergency brake and tighted main output shaft nut to proper torque.(dont forget to remove cotter pin first). I hope this helps. if not, post more and I would be more than willing to help. I too have had alot of trouble with speedos. I've had my rover for 40 yrs, and have repaired most thing on it that could break or malfunction. which means most of it.. ggod luck bobzinak.

dgraham29
05-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks much to both of you.
I unhooked the new cable and looked to see if any broken end remained in the port, but found none. Tried to seat the new cable end better and it seems to be secure. I will see if this works. Not sure I completely followed the 2nd recommendation. A friend who has dealt with IIA speedo cables says the pinion gear in trans rarely go wrong, so encouraged me to try refit the cable.

bobzinak
06-02-2010, 06:15 PM
you friend is right, the problem with the speedo gear on the mainshaft is that it is held immoble by the tension on the main shaft nut ( the one in the middle of the emergency brake) If it becomes loose due to bearing wear etc the gear could slip. usually your speedo will begin to wander back an forth. there is no keyway to make sure the gear cannot slip. I have dealt with that as transmission wears. if you can wiggle your emergency brake drum back and forth, you may need to adjust end play in the output shaft by removing some of the shims that are behund the speedo drive housing...bobzinak

Andrew IIA
06-02-2010, 08:00 PM
you friend is right, the problem with the speedo gear on the mainshaft is that it is held immoble by the tension on the main shaft nut ( the one in the middle of the emergency brake) If it becomes loose due to bearing wear etc the gear could slip. usually your speedo will begin to wander back an forth. there is no keyway to make sure the gear cannot slip. I have dealt with that as transmission wears. if you can wiggle your emergency brake drum back and forth, you may need to adjust end play in the output shaft by removing some of the shims that are behund the speedo drive housing...bobzinak
I learned a lot from this thread. Thanks, and Rover On ! :thumb-up:

dgraham29
06-08-2010, 10:27 AM
I removed the new speedo cable, removed cover on transmission where speed cable end inserts, and found no piece of previous cable. To remove pinion gear, is it just a matter of prying out oil seal and then pulling out pinion gear?
If I have to replace the gear, will new one just slide in the reverse of this process?
Thanks.

morgant
06-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm waiting with bated breath as I'm going through this on my truck as well.

bobzinak
06-08-2010, 05:47 PM
if you have gone to all the trouble to removethe portion of the transmission that houses the speedo output you will notice the spiral gear still on the output shaft this turns the speeedo drive gear. as I noted the only thing that holds this gear from slipping is the tension on the rear output shaft. you should not have to remove the rear output seal or replace it if it is not leaking. although you wilol have to replace the felt/rubber seal that goes over the output shaft and behind the washer before the large bolt. you can remover the two large screws that hold the speedo output out of the tramsmission and slide the speedo drive out of it. be careful not to pry on the brass tabs that the screws go throuh, the can bend easily.once you have that off you will see that the square hole in the speedo drive is really very thin. it is more like a cap than a solid brass fitting. that is why I bought a 1/8" piece of square tubing to drive into the square hole. It made a 3/4" long square drive hole to more firmly hold the cable. you would not be able to see a broken off piece of speedo cable in the hole because the inside is of a larger diameter than jusy the square hole... if you pull out the speedo drive unit it disassembles easily and it will be pretty obvious what I am speaking of. The fact that land rover in all its wisdom put 3/4" long screws holding on the speedo drive gear so that you had to take all that tranny stuff off tho get it out is a bit bogus in my opinion. but you really don't have much choice but to remove rear driveshft, emergency brake, speedo drive housing etc. just to get at the part you need to address. hope this helps again. will keep noting your posts to see if I can be of further assistance..ROVE ON; bobzinak

dgraham29
06-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks, Bobzinak. While I removed the speedo cable and took off the cover for the pinion gear, I have not actually taken apart the trans case or e-brake. What I was wondering is whether I could lift the pinion gear out of its housing without having to address the rear output shaft. Is there no way to pry the pinion gear out of housing, as the tension of the output shaft prevents that?
Given what you said, maybe there is an end piece of the old cable stuck down in the pinion housing.