X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crankin
    5th Gear
    • Jul 2008

Anti Rattle for Shifter

Does the main gear shifter have an anti rattle pin like the transfer gear change lever? I am looking in the parts manual and I don't see one...also our host doesn't seem to have anything listed.
    If not how do you keep the shifter from rattling in second and third (which seems to be when it happens).

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB
  • luckyjoe
    3rd Gear
    • Oct 2006

SII shifters have a metal ball on the lower end, and an o-ring fitted to a groove in this ball. Here is the RN page:
    O-Ring Main Shifter

I believe the SIII shifter has a nylon bushing-thing for the same purpose. I'd bet if you replace that you will stop the rattle.

Regards,
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Comment

• SafeAirOne
      Overdrive
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by luckyjoe
      I believe the SIII shifter has a nylon bushing-thing for the same purpose. I'd bet if you replace that you will stop the rattle.

It does have the plastic bushing, though the one on my new shift lever from RN didn't look too replaceable, IIRC.
      --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
      (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• lrdukdog
        3rd Gear
        • Nov 2006

shifter

I have found a really hi-tech solution for this. It's the smallest bungy cord wrapped around the shifter and fastened under the dash. It's quick, easy, cheap and it works every time.
        Jim Wolf

Comment

• alaskajosh
          2nd Gear
          • Sep 2007

This idea probably won't help you much with your main gear shift.. but my T-case lever rattled like a castanet (little leaf spring thing didn't help and would just fall out). I wrapped the ball joint tightly with a strip of inner-tube rubber, securing the two ends down with some of that self-vulcanizing tape.

Comment

Working...