PDA

View Full Version : Anti Rattle for Shifter

crankin
05-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Does the main gear shifter have an anti rattle pin like the transfer gear change lever? I am looking in the parts manual and I don't see one...also our host doesn't seem to have anything listed.
If not how do you keep the shifter from rattling in second and third (which seems to be when it happens).

luckyjoe
05-20-2010, 09:14 PM
SII shifters have a metal ball on the lower end, and an o-ring fitted to a groove in this ball. Here is the RN page:
O-Ring Main Shifter (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-3688-o-ring-main-lever-base.aspx)

I believe the SIII shifter has a nylon bushing-thing for the same purpose. I'd bet if you replace that you will stop the rattle.

Regards,

SafeAirOne
05-20-2010, 10:32 PM
I believe the SIII shifter has a nylon bushing-thing for the same purpose. I'd bet if you replace that you will stop the rattle.

It does have the plastic bushing, though the one on my new shift lever from RN didn't look too replaceable, IIRC.

lrdukdog
05-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I have found a really hi-tech solution for this. It's the smallest bungy cord wrapped around the shifter and fastened under the dash. It's quick, easy, cheap and it works every time.:D
Jim Wolf

alaskajosh
05-21-2010, 12:24 PM
This idea probably won't help you much with your main gear shift.. but my T-case lever rattled like a castanet (little leaf spring thing didn't help and would just fall out). I wrapped the ball joint tightly with a strip of inner-tube rubber, securing the two ends down with some of that self-vulcanizing tape.