PDA

View Full Version : timing problems

CliftonRover
03-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I am having trouble getting my timing on my 89 rangie right. the distributor cannot spin enough in either direction to get it right. I have tried moving all the wires over one hole, but the change seems to be too much. the truck will barely idle, i seem to have a voltage leak somewhere, not sure if its related, but I would like any suggestions on what to do to get the timing adjusted. I am good friends with a Rover mechanic and he said he has never had so much trouble getting something to run. I'll take any suggestions.

singingcamel
03-06-2007, 10:36 AM
you may need to loosen the dizzy pick it up and move it back a couple of cogs .maybe have to move it ahead as well.just a couple of teeth tho!
you may have a slopy timing chain ,may even have jumped a couple of cogs,worth a try..
also replace your rotor and cap (use genuine ) check your plugs and coil as well :thumb-up: good luck

CliftonRover
03-06-2007, 04:16 PM
are you refering to something inside the distributor, or can I rotate the gear on the bottom of the distributor a little? I will get a new cap and rotor as I do question if the one in there is genuine. I bought the truck from a guy who was planning in rebuilding it, and may have taken some shortcuts. can the plastic interals be rotated. I do have an extra distributor, and a jacobs ignition that might make everything work better.

singingcamel
03-09-2007, 10:00 AM
you have to lift the complete dizzy uo and turn the rotor just a tad , then drop it back down,just lift it uo enough to turn the rotor, don't turn it to much ,you will be way out of time if you do,1/16 -1/8 "is all

CliftonRover
03-09-2007, 03:23 PM
I feel like when I was puting the distributor in there was only one way it would go in where the dist. would sit all the way down. ill try it again though. thanks for the info, Is there any other reason my 89 rr won't idle

singingcamel
03-09-2007, 05:47 PM
plenty of reasons.
i would take a look at your plugs,rotor and dizzy cap,replace with ome!
also make sure your plug wires are seated properlyand in the right firing order.
stepper motor, sits at the passenger side rear of the engine,plugs in at the rear of the plentum.diconnect wthe wiring and clean it with carb cleaner,stepper motor is responsible for the idle!
would'nt hurt to clean the throttle body as well, clean connections of the mass air flow sensor with contact cleaner (elecrical cleaner):thumb-up: good luck and keep us posted