PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating swivel ball?

masonater
05-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Anyone ever tried to powder coat a swivel ball? Mine has some minor pitting around the flange area and I've been a powder coating machine these days so I thought why not. It would not be thick at all just one coat would do the trick, but will it cause me problems with my oil seal?

bkreutz
05-22-2010, 11:48 AM
I haven't done this on a LR ball, but I did it to a CJ2A (gasp:)) a few years ago, it still isn't leaking, so I would think it would work. The surface has to be smooth though, if the pits are deep, I would fill them first (there is a filler that's designed to work with powder coating).

DUCOVEROLL
05-22-2010, 01:20 PM
You can fill the pits with JB weld, it stands the heat form the powder coating process.

Cristian

masonater
05-22-2010, 01:32 PM
nice I was hoping someone else had done it even if it was on a j##p. I like the JB weld filler idea.. Would I just smear it in then sand smooth I assume? The pits are not very deep at all and they are on the top and bottom of the swivel where they are not even touched by the oil seal during turns so I may just leave them. Thanks for the info!

masonater
05-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Well I did it this afternoon and I think it came out pretty awesome. Went with machine gray and just one coat. Try to rust now!

rwollschlager
05-23-2010, 10:24 AM
that came out pretty cool! I'm interested in seeing how they hold up, as it is much easier to find a place that powder coats vs. someone willing to re-chrome them.

mongoswede
05-23-2010, 10:25 AM
From a cost comparison point of view the powder coating will likely be cheaper then buying a new one.

masonater
05-24-2010, 07:30 AM
ok bad news...the pivot point on the top of the swivel is having some issues. I cannot get the steering arm to fit back in. There is some type of carbon-ish insert in there and it seemed to not like the 400-450 degree oven temps because it shrunk (weird) and now moves freely inside the housing its in. I cannot find any info on this piece in my LR books. Can someone explain what exactly goes on up there? Is that whole piece pressed in? I know it has to pivot pretty easily and it sure did before I took it all apart...hmm

gudjeon
05-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Sounds like the railco bushing material. Yes that big round thingy holding can come out of the swivel ball. It is a bugger though. Pressed in very tight.
In a similar vein, I had some ser1 chrome danglies rechromed at an industrial chrome shop. The guy said the original was wafer thin by their standards and the new industrial chroming was 3 times as thick. They dipped and stripped off all old chrome, gave it back to me and I MIG welded all the pitts, carfully filed and sanded smooth, gave it back to be rechromed. :thumb-up:

masonater
05-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I thought it may be the railco bushing, but my parts book was not clear. Anyway a little grinding compound and it fit back in pretty well. I put them all back together (not for good) so I don't misplace parts and remember how it goes...here is a pic of the final product. I really love powder coating. Thank you Eastwood!