PDA

View Full Version : Starter field coil

xsbowes
05-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Yesterday when I was driving my LTWT, it died about 1.5 blocks from the house. I attempted to restart and nothing, no turning over, no lights, no clicking, absolutely nothing.

I figured I had something grounding out, after removing the lead from the solenoid to the starter, everything worked. So it boils down to the field coil being grounded out.

Can I replace the field coil or is it more cost effective to replace the whole starter. The cheapest starter I could find is $225 and I'm sure shipping will be $100+ since I need it before this friday so I can ship it (LTWT) back to the mainland.

Are there any starters from other vehicles that will work, that I might be able to get at NAPA or other parts store?

LaneRover
05-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Yesterday when I was driving my LTWT, it died about 1.5 blocks from the house. I attempted to restart and nothing, no turning over, no lights, no clicking, absolutely nothing.

I figured I had something grounding out, after removing the lead from the solenoid to the starter, everything worked. So it boils down to the field coil being grounded out.

Can I replace the field coil or is it more cost effective to replace the whole starter. The cheapest starter I could find is $225 and I'm sure shipping will be $100+ since I need it before this friday so I can ship it (LTWT) back to the mainland.

Are there any starters from other vehicles that will work, that I might be able to get at NAPA or other parts store?

Can you get the Starter rebuilt locally?

yorker
05-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Don't you have a crank handle? ;)

I've never paid more than $60 to have my starters rebuilt- check with a motor rebuilder- preferably one who has been in business for a while and if he works on tractor starters even better. The one I deal with literally had a pile of cores.

xsbowes
05-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Tried the crank handle, ended up roll starting and I did find a local place to rebuild but at about $160. Still beats paying $400+ for new and shipping.
should be ready monday

xsbowes
05-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Went to ship my LR to Maryland today and the starter grounded out again. Had to disconnect the lead to the starter from the solenoid and get a roll start again. The place I took it to get it rebuilt wouldn't do it because it tested good. Ended up ordering reman. starter from BritPac. Now have to reschedule the shipping to Maryland.

I am going to take the starter apart myself and see where it is getting grounded.

On another note has anyone dealt with Powerlite in the UK? They make a replacement for the Lucas starter:

http://www.powerlite-units.com/pdf/starters/RAC424.pdf

SafeAirOne
05-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Don't know if it'll help or not, but at the end of book 5 of the 90/110 WSM (widely available online), there are instructions for rebuilding/troubleshooting many different Rover starters including 2.25 starters.

NickDawson
05-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Good luck - nothing worse than having a deadline and a dead rover.

If it comes to it, check out Dingocroft
http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/

I ordered a starter for my 2.5L from them, $220 total including shipping after the exchange rate - great service too, arrived in 4 business days. Presumably it will be more expensive and longer to get to Hi, but still might be reasonable.

Terrys
05-29-2010, 12:13 PM
I would be more suspicious of the brush holders being corroded so that the brushes aren't sliding freely. In 40 years of driving these lumps, I've never burned up a field coil. That's not to say they can't go bad, because Lucas sold field coils esperately. It's the same starter that was used in many old Brit cars, trucks, and tractors.

xsbowes
05-29-2010, 01:35 PM
It just seems really odd that as I was driving there was a total loss of electrical power but once I disconnected the starter it was restored and with a gentle nudge it started right up. I've ordered a replacement and even though it cost more than most the east coast retailers, the shipping is only $17 (USPS) vice the $109(UPS) from the east coast. Not to mention I need it ASAP because I'm leaving Hawaii in less than 3 weeks.

Terrys
05-29-2010, 03:47 PM
OK, I've re-read your initial post, and your last one. I don't think your issue was the starter at all. I would go over every connection from battery, both sides. Then look to otherwires that run off the solenoid (brown ones).

xsbowes
05-29-2010, 06:17 PM
But everything works great when the starter is disconnected. Once I reconnect it, darkness, no lights, fuel gauge, voltmeter, everything is dead. And with it disconnected, I can push it and it starts. Also before I would rotate the terminal on the starter and it would start working again.

SafeAirOne
05-29-2010, 07:07 PM
What did you find when you opened up the starter and solenoid unit?

xsbowes
05-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Haven't got there yet, I've been trying to get my house organized for moving. Maybe tomorrow or Monday.

xsbowes
05-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Got the starter out and apart. The insulation around the terminal post had worn and the brush wire (not insulated) connected to ground was touching it. You could even see where it had arced before the full contact. I'll have to find some heat shrink and slip over the terminal. It should still work.

SafeAirOne
05-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Got the starter out and apart. The insulation around the terminal post had worn and the brush wire (not insulated) connected to ground was touching it. You could even see where it had arced before the full contact. I'll have to find some heat shrink and slip over the terminal. It should still work.

Always nice to have a 39-cent fix every now and then... Kind of balances out the 500-dollar fixes sometimes. :thumb-up: