PDA

View Full Version : Alternate exhaust hangers

xsbowes
05-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Has anyone used any other materials other than the rubber exhaust hangers. The ones I put on 2 years ago are already breaking. What about something similar to the check straps, will these last longer than the rubber?

greenmeanie
05-24-2010, 05:26 PM
On my 109 project I made new hangers out of steel rod and a bit of plate so that I could use standard Ford exhaust rubbers. Cheap as chips and a very strong, reliable mounting. If you can weld it is simple fabrication with the new hangers picking up on the exiting chassis points.

Tim Smith
05-25-2010, 08:28 AM
I've had nothing but problems with my NRP exhaust and have replaced the hangers a couple of times with stock and heavy duty non-stock. For me, part of the problem is that the routing of the outlet rubs on the tires even on mild articulation. So eventually the hanger just gets pulled too far and the rubber rips.

I'd love to find a better alternative to the bailing wire that is currently holding it up. By the way, bailing wire has held up the best so far having lasted at least a year. :(

scott
05-25-2010, 09:24 AM
my 88 came with homemade hangers which were just 4" of heavy chain. strong, flexable

jac04
05-25-2010, 05:25 PM
... the problem is that the routing of the outlet rubs on the tires even on mild articulation.
RN & NRP are aware of this problem. Have them send you the correct (45 degree bends IIRC) tail pipe and you will be all set.

Back on topic:

I have had horrible luck with the stock exhaust rubber hangers. I have always replaced them with pieces of an old 2" wide tow strap.