PDA

View Full Version : Series IIA Heater and Trans question

drbrain
05-24-2010, 06:33 PM
My 1969 has a heater and the blower does not work. I tested and cleaned the switch in the dash and checked voltage. It is seeing 10.5V after and before the switch. I am seeing the same voltage at the blower motor wire disconnect. Am I correct in assuming that the motor is shot? If so, what is the easiest way to replace the blower motor without removing the heat exchange unit or disconnecting the hoses from that unit? Is there a way - wing removal possibly?

BTW - the heating hoses do heat up great when I manually switch the heater water hoses to open flow.

Transmission - I asked this in a previous post but it may have gotten lost among other stuff. The yellow 4 wheel drive selector is floppy and needs to be held up with a rubber strap. Any idea if this is something I need to deal with right away or can the vehicle be driven before I get this looked at? I am driving in HIGH since I am using the vehicle for normal driving conditions.

Thanks a bunch

Harry

mongoswede
05-24-2010, 07:18 PM
My 1969 has a heater and the blower does not work. I tested and cleaned the switch in the dash and checked voltage. It is seeing 10.5V after and before the switch. I am seeing the same voltage at the blower motor wire disconnect. Am I correct in assuming that the motor is shot? If so, what is the easiest way to replace the blower motor without removing the heat exchange unit or disconnecting the hoses from that unit? Is there a way - wing removal possibly?

BTW - the heating hoses do heat up great when I manually switch the heater water hoses to open flow.

Transmission - I asked this in a previous post but it may have gotten lost among other stuff. The yellow 4 wheel drive selector is floppy and needs to be held up with a rubber strap. Any idea if this is something I need to deal with right away or can the vehicle be driven before I get this looked at? I am driving in HIGH since I am using the vehicle for normal driving conditions.

Thanks a bunch

Harry

The yellow 4 lever doesnt actually lever but slides up and down parallel to its post. There should be a spring that sits around it with one end pressing on the yellow knob and the other end pressing on a plate bolted to the transmission tunnel. I dont know how crucial the spring is or whether the lever will try to slide down without it.

I can't say for sure what is happening on the blower motor but an easy thing to try is to jump 12v from the battery to the blower motor. Do this by running a power wire directly from the battery to the power connector that goes to the blower motor. Then give the ground side of the connector ground. If you hear the motor go wirring away you can say it is good. If your jumper wires turn to smoke or the motor makes noises but not of the turning variety you can assume it is bad. However, its likely that if the motor has gone bad and stopped turning it would likely have blown a fuse.

akrvr
05-24-2010, 07:26 PM
10.5V is low?? If your batteries are charged then you are losing voltage somewhere. Run a jumper wire from the battery directly to the motor and see if it works. If it does, it's somewhere in the wiring.

You need the spring that goes between the tunnel cover and the yellow knob so that it will pop up when you put it in 4 low

drbrain
05-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks. There is a spring on the lever but it still seems to float and is not tight.

You can see a pic here http://gallery.me.com/harrysnodgrass#100430

It is image 1844.

I thought the voltage was low as well but wasn't sure why. I did notice that the previous owner ran all the electrics through one fuse which I assume is wrong. I need to split up the systems after I trace them.

Harry

10.5V is low?? If your batteries are charged then you are losing voltage somewhere. Run a jumper wire from the battery directly to the motor and see if it works. If it does, it's somewhere in the wiring.

You need the spring that goes between the tunnel cover and the yellow knob so that it will pop up when you put it in 4 low

SafeAirOne
05-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks. There is a spring on the lever but it still seems to float and is not tight.

You can see a pic here http://gallery.me.com/harrysnodgrass#100430

It is image 1844.

Harry

Methinks your spring is too short (or the rod is somehow too long). I wonder what it looks like on the transfer case side of the floor. It appears that all the parts are there. Sometimes people don't have the little piece of flared tube where the rod goes through the floor and the spring falls through the hole, but that's not the case here. The spring should be nested in the flared tube and push up on the bottom of the yellow knob. Your spring has probably been permanentlly compressed.

drbrain
05-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks. I will get a spring and give it a try.

Harry

Methinks your spring is too short (or the rod is somehow too long). I wonder what it looks like on the transfer case side of the floor. It appears that all the parts are there. Sometimes people don't have the little piece of flared tube where the rod goes through the floor and the spring falls through the hole, but that's not the case here. The spring should be nested in the flared tube and push up on the bottom of the yellow knob. Your spring has probably been permanentlly compressed.