PDA

View Full Version : Roverdrive install

rejeep
05-25-2010, 09:04 AM
This thread isn’t meant to be a gripe.. just informational..

I started installing my overdrive yesterday.. instructions said it should take 2 hrs with common hand tools...

Disassembly was easy, including removal of the oil pan to install a finned aluminum one..

Coupler went on no issue as well, torque locknut down with a gun to 110ft..

This is where the issue started and it sits as of now...
I went to install the overdrive into the PTO hole and it wouldn’t engage..
Got ray on the phone and we went through some trouble shooting.. everything seemed ok..
fast forward 90 min of trying and swearing.. I figured out the issue.

The bushing the main shaft goes into is too small for the shaft..
Ray had only had this happen once or twice before.
Supposedly, an infinitely small number of Rovers had a main shaft slightly larger 1/1000th, or the main saft was struck with a hammer at some point in its life and mushroomed the end just enough..

His solution is to ream out the bushing.. All fine and dandy if it wasn’t 6:30pm and I am at my house, not my shop..

Worse part of the situation is that there is no adjustable reamers available anywhere in Rochester NY.. everything is a day out..

My solution that I will attempt to try tonight is to file the bushing some and then take a wheel cyl hone to smooth out the bore..

any comments on my attack plan?

Ps: not looking to start the whole high range Tcase/overdrive debate.. I looked into both.. Both seemed like perfect solutions, this one (overdrive) happen to fall more in line with my use of the vehicle and budget at the time..

Donnie
05-25-2010, 06:19 PM
This thread isn’t meant to be a gripe.. just informational..

I started installing my overdrive yesterday.. instructions said it should take 2 hrs with common hand tools...

Disassembly was easy, including removal of the oil pan to install a finned aluminum one..

Coupler went on no issue as well, torque locknut down with a gun to 110ft..

This is where the issue started and it sits as of now...
I went to install the overdrive into the PTO hole and it wouldn’t engage..
Got ray on the phone and we went through some trouble shooting.. everything seemed ok..
fast forward 90 min of trying and swearing.. I figured out the issue.

The bushing the main shaft goes into is too small for the shaft..
Ray had only had this happen once or twice before.
Supposedly, an infinitely small number of Rovers had a main shaft slightly larger 1/1000th, or the main saft was struck with a hammer at some point in its life and mushroomed the end just enough..

His solution is to ream out the bushing.. All fine and dandy if it wasn’t 6:30pm and I am at my house, not my shop..

Worse part of the situation is that there is no adjustable reamers available anywhere in Rochester NY.. everything is a day out..

My solution that I will attempt to try tonight is to file the bushing some and then take a wheel cyl hone to smooth out the bore..

any comments on my attack plan?

Ps: not looking to start the whole high range Tcase/overdrive debate.. I looked into both.. Both seemed like perfect solutions, this one (overdrive) happen to fall more in line with my use of the vehicle and budget at the time..
I have a set of adjustable reamers. I could loan you one if you don't mind the delay. tell me what size you need.. Mike your shaft. be sure that it is not mushroomed, if it is then you ream & the bush is too loose...Donnie, i'm in Pa