PDA

View Full Version : Ticking or Tapping sound?

rockymt110
05-26-2010, 09:16 PM
I have a 2003 Disco and it is making a ticking/tapping sound and the sound speeds up when given gas and then goes away. The dealership has replaced the rocker shafts and lifters. They now want me to authorize a tear down of the engine $$$. Has anyone had this problem? Causes?

Regards,

rockymt110

CliftonRover
05-26-2010, 11:11 PM
I would recomend checking the simple things first, such as anything belt driven, I know it sounds like worn valvetrain or low oil pressure, but sometimes noises go away with rpm. Remove the serp. belt and check all the bearings for wear. I worked at a rover shop that often had job referred to it by the local dealership. The dealer would say the car needed one thing but we often found it to be simpler (cheaper). Just because it is a dealer does not mean they are excellent rover mechanics.

rydog
09-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I have the same sound going on in my engine . my mechanic said that it was caused by slug in the engine from bad oil. I hope it is somthing simpler!

Crash
09-03-2010, 11:34 AM
A number of odd noises dissapeared when I remove the worn serpentine belt - one of which was a clicking noise!

98 HOO
10-14-2010, 09:57 AM
You are not alone - some more info here on what others have done:

http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55734

Mjollnir
10-16-2010, 08:34 AM
The 2003 DII 4.6L engine had severe issues, two of which were grenading oil pumps due to a pin misalignment which allowed to oil to drain out (check your VIN with a Land Rover dealer to confirm if yours was affected and the repair was done-in some cases a new engine), and assorted ticking sounds, the majority of which were due to the cylinder sleeves becoming loose.
This is not to alarm you, but it is valuable information that could prevent a loss of the DII. Do not go to a dealer, but an independent Land Rover mechanic that specializes in Classic vehicles and has the specific equipment to diagnose the issue. The Land Rover techs at the dealership are mainly concerned, and trained, on 2005 and on vehicles, so it is hit and miss with them. They bill for warranty work on the newer vehicles, but the real money is from someone like you who provides immediate profit to the dealership.
You need someone who is so familiar with these vehicles that he can diagnose the issue quickly and at little expense. Rovers North can help you with that, as well as any parts you need. I speak from experience as the owner of a '99 DII with 120K, 40K of which was in the last year. The right parts, mechanic, and assistance makes a huge difference.