PDA

View Full Version : Oil Seals & Friction

JackIIA
05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Hello All,

Question on the Transmission Main Gearbox Rear Oil Seal (through which the mainshaft passes). But really, it could be any oil seal where there is contact with another part....

The oil seal makes contact with a race & sheild attached to the mainshaft. How is it that this seal doesn't fail in short order (or does it!). I was thinking of ways to lubricate it, but the manual calls for no such thing.

Shots below for reference. The fit between the shield race and the oil seal is snug but feels right. Thanks.

bkreutz
05-27-2010, 01:44 PM
The seal is meant to hold some kind of liquid inside the component (notice I said intended:D). so whatever fluid that it is supposed to retain (or slow down) provides the lubrication. One thing I've always done when installing new seals (over the last 43 years as a mechanic) is smear some grease on the new seal lip, prevents dry running until the aforementioned liquid reaches the seal.

JackIIA
05-27-2010, 05:05 PM
One thing I've always done when installing new seals (over the last 43 years as a mechanic) is smear some grease on the new seal lip, prevents dry running until the aforementioned liquid reaches the seal.

I had thought of doing that, but then was worried it would somehow attack the rubber. Good to know it's OK and will take your advice. Thanks Gale.

bkreutz
05-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I should probably expand my definition of "grease". What I use is a product called "Sil-Glide" comes in a tube from NAPA, pretty inert lubricant. Most instructions I've seen about lubricating seals say to use whatever fluid that normally will come in contact with the seal in its normal operation as the assembly lube (trans fluid on a trans seal). But I've found the Sil Glide a lot more handy to use (and less messy).

JackIIA
05-27-2010, 07:49 PM
No worries. I could probably use rubber grease which I think is basically the same thing (e.g., silicone based).

bmohan55
05-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Old mechanic friend told be to use RTV around the outside of seal, and oil on the inside , it lubricates it on insertion and that way if you bugger it up a bit while installing it you have a chance of it sealing itself.