PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Series IIA

albersj51
05-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to look at a 1967 Series IIA today. I am new to Rovers, so I am hoping you all can give me some things to look out for. The seller is a british car shop and they redid the brakes and exhaust on it. Body looks good. There is "minor" rust in the rear crossmember and the bulkhead. I used to own an International Scout, so I know rust. However, how hard is it to replace the rear crossmember by yourself? I have a buddy that has a MIG Welder and some experience...can this be done by the shade tree mechanic?
The bulkhead is also a concern. The rust it has is around the bottom corners (that I can tell). Is this a big deal? Any way for me to get a closer/deeper look?
Anything else I should be on the lookout for?
Any special engine or body parts that are weak on these?
Lastly, whats the going rate for a 1967 Series IIA (converted to LHD in England, with paperwork), 2.25L Petrol engine, and some rust? I've heard $5K-$6K.

Thank you!

bmohan55
05-28-2010, 08:56 AM
this is a great site for the info you are seeking
http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.4.main.html

As far as price, to me it seem a bit high for one with rust issues but who knows. I'd look thru the for sale section here to get an idea of asking prices.
good luck

galen216
05-28-2010, 09:01 AM
The rear crossmember is an easy Saturday job with 2 people and a welder. I did it and had never done it before.

galen216
05-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Follow-up:

Where are you and any pics? Likely someone is close and could possibly go over it with you.

albersj51
05-28-2010, 09:25 AM
The Rover is just outside Asheville, NC. I'm going to look at it this afternoon. Here are some pics of it:

http://www.oldenglishcars.com/id13.html

I'd love to get feedback on price vs visible condition.

Wander
05-28-2010, 09:43 AM
I noticed that IIa on their site as well. I am 90% sure that is one that was at Blue Ridge Rover Works about a year ago as well. I don't know when it sold from the first place and I am not 100% so consider that.

I am also not saying these shops are trying to hide something as they both have good reputations and it is probably more likely the buyer now seller bought it without knowing what a series rover is all about.

If the rust in the bulkhead is minor it can also be cut out and either patched or a new panels can be welded in place. The frame is the weakest link on these and there will be some rust but check it closely to see how much and how bad. There really isn't anything that can't be repaired by someone without expert skills, that's part of the beauty of a series rover. Just about everything is available from our host and other sources and there are also many sources for the items no longer available.

That price does seem a little high to me with the knowledge that the bulkhead and rear xmember will need attention. If I am not mistaken this is a consignment sale so the seller is probably fairly motivated to sell.

If you have not already you should drive it, it will be loud, slow, drafty and more akin to a Model T than anything else. Even in 67 this was old technology, but keep it maintained and it will run if not forever, longer than you want it to.;)

albersj51
05-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I was thinking $6500 to be a little high, assuming minor rust in bulkhead and needing a new rear X-member. What do you think a fair price is? Couldnt find much in the way of comps in the for sale section...Thanks again!

mrdoiron
05-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I was thinking $6500 to be a little high, assuming minor rust in bulkhead and needing a new rear X-member. What do you think a fair price is? Couldnt find much in the way of comps in the for sale section...Thanks again!
Seems to have alot of basics usually requiring work already done... what ever you pay, you'll no doubt find your self tinkering and want to upgrade. Key is that there are no big surprises to get it inspected and driving, like e-brake working, wipers working, turn signals, flashers, lights etc... as those little things can set you back time and money just to get driving... upgrading however comes with the ownership papers however.
That said, to me it appears in not bad shape for the $, and will likely sell fast

scott
05-28-2010, 01:54 PM
did i miss something? didn't anyone notice that the front clip is not that of a 67. the wings are at least 69 or newer and the breakfast no older than a 68. i would check vin number on title against that on the outside of the right frame horn and not just the bulkhead plate.

pretty paint

mrdoiron
05-28-2010, 02:18 PM
did i miss something? didn't anyone notice that the front clip is not that of a 67. the wings are at least 69 or newer and the breakfast no older than a 68. i would check vin number on title against that on the outside of the right frame horn and not just the bulkhead plate.

pretty paint
you're right, I didn't even pick that up but very obvious - if the wings are 69, it is late yr as that was the bug eye year without the recessed fitted lights. The ad specifically references "features headlights in the front wings, metal wire grille"... so perhaps they indicate that to note the changes ? Still looks ok however...

gambrinus
05-28-2010, 02:22 PM
That is NOT a 1967. I'd be very wary of the title and Vin # issues.

Parts could have been replaced along the way, but bulkhead, wings etc... the whole front clip are from a late IIA. 69 would be a bugeye... so 70 or 71 would be my guess.

If the paperwork vin# are ok, Then I'd BEAT on that frame with a hammer. If the frame is solid and the engine / tranny are fine, I'd MAYBE be o.k. with $6500... $5,000 - $5500 would be more in line.

RW

scott
05-28-2010, 02:41 PM
oh no argument is looks sweet. nothing wrong with using newer body panels. just the last year of lights on the breakfast was 67 and my personal preference is the beady eyed look of the older iias

albersj51
05-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all of he info! I saw it today, it's a cool truck, but the body/frame need work. Mechanicaly it's very sound and it has an overdrive. Rear X-Member needs to be replaced as does the transmission x-member. The bulk head has rust and it's eaten through the bottom on both sides of it and it starting to eat through up top of the bulk head as well. A lot of electolysi corrosion around the edges. A ripple in the door panel and a hole on the aluminum on the back and a dented rocker. Seats are no original and need to be replaced (recovered) no back seat. I like it but I can't see paying near $6500 for it...I was thinking $4500-$5000, but I am no expert one what these go for. I just don't know how much the bulkhead and frame will need.

scott
05-28-2010, 06:53 PM
i paid 5800 for mine 5 yrs ago. very solid frame but the bulkhead footwells needed replaced an a bit of patching on the rear xmbr and dry rotted tires and a host of jerry rigged crap and pretty paint. i've enjoyed all the work i've had to do but would have rather paid 4500 for it. i bought it via the internet and it did have pretty paint

scott
05-28-2010, 06:58 PM
That is NOT a 1967. I'd be very wary of the title and Vin # issues.

Parts could have been replaced along the way, but bulkhead, wings etc... the whole front clip are from a late IIA. 69 would be a bugeye... so 70 or 71 would be my guess.

If the paperwork vin# are ok, Then I'd BEAT on that frame with a hammer. If the frame is solid and the engine / tranny are fine, I'd MAYBE be o.k. with $6500... $5,000 - $5500 would be more in line.

RW

i have trouble remembering whether the bugeyes were 68 or 69 but that's because i don't care. my 68 has lights on the breakfast but that's cuz it's xmod

jgkmmoore
05-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Good friend of mine bought his '65 (88")IIa, really nice outward appearance, and fairly good mechanical, for $4500. Great frame and bulkhead.Great interior with back jumpseats Had been parked for 10+ years tho.
Had to do right off- New rear diff after 100 miles. Prolly $500 incl labor
New tires. Old ones looked great, but were rotten from sitting. $700
New clutch master and slave, and some brake components- $300
Tuneup and change all fluids- $300 (shop did tune).
So, if your considered truck presents with all that stuff good, it's worth $5500-6000 if it's usable as a daily driver. You can fix the bulkhead at leisure, and the frame can easily be patched reasonably by a good fab person (who can do the bulkhead too) with new parts. Your call.
Best- Jeff:thumb-up:
There will be other issues tho. But the dang things run forever.

jgkmmoore
05-29-2010, 07:17 PM
That truck has a very nice body for a LR Series. Panels look really straight. Once it gets bent, it's hard to get it straight again unless you know a very talented bodyman that specializes in old aluminum, and works for beer money. I'd not take this truck into the deep woods unless there was a decent road.
Most bodywork on these is fairly spendy, so this truck holds it's worth in the 'straight body' department nicely. It could be a real 'fancypants' LR. Already IS handsome.:D Nice find
Regards-Jeff

mongoswede
05-29-2010, 07:20 PM
I bought my series III 88" 2 years ago for $2500. The bulkhead and frame were ugly but it came with a bunch of good parts and a clean rolling chassis from a Discovery. As of now I found another frame and repaired it. I just picked up a nice bulkhead to use. So a lot of labor hours on my part and the truck is getting closer to being whole again. In my book if the bulkhead needs work and the frame needs work or is bad thats an easy $3000 to $4000 in parts and labor if you do everything yourself...more if you are paying someone.

NickDawson
05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Interesting, I know of that shop and hear quite good things. I've not met him but know several rover owning friends who have and speak highly. I' ask candidly about the miss-matched body panels.

During my search, I was focused on series IIIs, but if I knew then what I know now, and had seen that truck, I'd have taken a good hard look for $6K and might take a gamble for $4K.

-N

albersj51
05-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Don't get me wrong, Tony was great. Took a lot of time and showed me a lot of stuff about Rovers. I asked about the fender and he didn't know since he got from a family where the owner died. He thinks it's a Series III fender top.

Wander
05-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, Tony was great. Took a lot of time and showed me a lot of stuff about Rovers. I asked about the fender and he didn't know since he got from a family where the owner died. He thinks it's a Series III fender top.

That might answer my question about why it's back on the market so soon. Sad way for that to happen. If this is the rover I saw before, the shop it came from seems to do a lot of newer wing replacements on older series trucks. I've seen a lot of the 4 headlight mods come from that shop. The old solid front wings from older IIa's are very hard to find but newer series III and defender wings are not. There does seem to be a decent selection of series trucks in the Asheville area so you probably can be picky. If you like that one and are ok with the work to be done but don't feel it's worth the asking price make a fair offer, they can only say no.

albersj51
05-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Tony said the guy who owned it hadn't driven it in several years and the brakes and clutch were not workig, so it's probably not the same rover.

NC_Mule
05-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Are you in the western NC area? I'm in Boone not far from Asheville. If you decide to pass on this Rover and come across others in the area I'll be glad to go look over the truck with you. Sometimes having another set of ears and eyes can be very helpful when checking out a vehicle.
pb

albersj51
05-30-2010, 01:17 PM
NC_Mule: thanks man, I really appreciate that! Still trying to decide about this truck. My buddy and I can probably do all of the body work, but I wonder if I wait if something better will come along. How often to these pop up on the market? Also, how important is it to haw the Feirey OD?

Wander
05-30-2010, 04:33 PM
You should go see what Sean has at Blue Ridge Rovers Works as well then. It's a good idea to look at several if you can. The OD is a big plus if you are driving it on anything resembling a modern road. Mine does not and it makes me nervouse when I'm dring it to work on the 4 lane and I feel like I'm pushing it too hard. I'd also like to take it to the beach or to Uwharrie for one of the meets but the idea of a multi hour trip at 55 with the engine working that hard sounds like a quick way to some heavey work-and/or early hearing loss.

NC_Mule
05-30-2010, 05:17 PM
NC_Mule: thanks man, I really appreciate that! Still trying to decide about this truck. My buddy and I can probably do all of the body work, but I wonder if I wait if something better will come along. How often to these pop up on the market? Also, how important is it to haw the Feirey OD?

I don't have an overdrive on my 70 IIa, i'm in the mountains so the roads don't lend themselves to 55+ so I don't feel the need. At 55 the truck feels good but get much past 60 and I feel like I'm pushing it too hard. If your in an area where you will want to get above 60 I would get a truck with an OD. Don't pass up a nice truck w/out OD it can always be added, our hosts have a nice one for sale.
Did you see the 70 Series IIA in the Lynchburg VA craigslist?? It's a project someone can't finish, no pics but might be worth a call. Look it up or PM me your e-mail and I can send you the link.
pb

albersj51
05-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Sounds like the OD would be a good idea for me. I just called Blue Ridge Rover Works as they have 2 in at a good price. I may head up to Asheville tomorrow to check all of them out.

NC_Mule: Didnt see the one in Lynchburg, I'll have to give it a look. Thanks for the heads up!

albersj51
05-31-2010, 08:03 PM
My buddy (who welds and paints) And I went to see the truck today. Looks like everything she needs we can tackle. Tony and I were able to agree on a price and I drove her the hour and a half home. Thanks for everyones feedback!

Wander
05-31-2010, 08:59 PM
My buddy (who welds and paints) And I went to see the truck today. Looks like everything she needs we can tackle. Tony and I were able to agree on a price and I drove her the hour and a half home. Thanks for everyones feedback!

So you got it?! Congrats!

That one does have a nice straight body and the highbacks while not stock are more comfotable and safer. Getting then recovered is pretty easy or even better just by some waterproof covers. These old Land Rovers are a bunch of fun and if you keep up with the basics it will keep on running. Welcome to the cult..erm..club!

albersj51
05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks Wander! Yes sir! Got her home today. While not fast, she is a BLAST to drive. I've already caught several people checking her out while driving. Great truck!

Are there any local/regional Landie clubs in the area?

SGS714
05-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Congrats! that is a good looking truck. As a first time Series owner only a couple weeks ago I am looking forward to my first ride. I've heard it run but we keep finding small details that keep it off the road. Hoping to be where you are by end of next week after installing the 6th parts order.