PDA

View Full Version : 24-12V

2manykids4a7
05-28-2010, 05:04 PM
I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules but I got a PM about the 24-12V conversion and for some reason I am unable to reply so I thought I'd post up here. I included the original question plus my response, but I am sure that there are those of you out there who can be of greater assistance than I.

Original question.

I also have a '75 FFR that I am rebuilding. I am also converting to 12 volt. Did you do anything special with the wiring. I am trying to keep it stock military (6 way switch etc.) but all 12 volt.
Did you bypass or remove the circuit for the infra red switch? any suggestions, hints or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

My response.

I'm afraid that I did not do the conversion myself, it was that way when I got it.

My understanding is that in order to make everything simpler (and cheaper to work on) the voltage was dropped before the distributor. Mine is still set up with both batteries so it is not a complete conversion to 12 everywhere. The 6 way switch is still working, don't know about the IR circuit. All the actual radio equipment was taken before I got the truck, so I'm afraid I may not be that much help with some of that stuff.

As you are going through the process please don't hesitate to get in touch I will gladly take pictures, chase down whatever circuits I can. I'm not particularly knowledgeable, but I can follow a diagram pretty well.

Steve..

bmohan55
05-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Here is a link to an article from a UK forum detailing how this person did it. I think you need to register on the forum to view it but it's a great forum with lots of good tech (although they do use some strange expressions on it!)

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php/139251-24v-to-12v-Conversion

mrdoiron
05-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Here is a link to an article from a UK forum detailing how this person did it. I think you need to register on the forum to view it but it's a great forum with lots of good tech (although they do use some strange expressions on it!)

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php/139251-24v-to-12v-Conversion
Unless it's your daily driver, why bother converting it... kinda cool as is.

Lalo88DK
05-30-2010, 01:27 AM
The 24 volt systems are really reliable, but some of the parts cost a fortune compared to 12 volt parts and few of them, are getting harder to find. (I could not find spare parts for the 24 volt starter-motor).
So now I have both 24 volt and 12 volt, 2 alternators and three batteries on my truck, so I convert it gradually.