PDA

View Full Version : Odd brake situation...

amcordo
05-28-2010, 11:33 PM
I've been working on the rover for about three months now. It's been sitting in a garage all apart in that time, including having the brake master cylinder removed from the brake lines.

I hooked it all up today and took it for a slow ride up the block. Stopped no problem with the first push of the pedal and I didn't bleed the brakes. Is that in any way normal? There's got to be air in the lines...

Terrys
05-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Are you dissapointed you had working brakes? If all you did was disconnect your MC, which is the highest point in the system, how would any air get into the system? You may have a small bubble ot two at the very top of the lines, but not enough to notice a spongy pedal.

amcordo
05-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Are you dissapointed you had working brakes? If all you did was disconnect your MC, which is the highest point in the system, how would any air get into the system? You may have a small bubble ot two at the very top of the lines, but not enough to notice a spongy pedal.

Don't get me wrong; I couldn't he happier that I won't have to bleed the things. But I wanted to find out if you all thought I would be taking a dangerous shortcut in not bleeding them...

Terrys
05-29-2010, 07:33 AM
I wanted to find out if you all thought I would be taking a dangerous shortcut in not bleeding them... Someone might, but I don't

mongoswede
05-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Don't get me wrong; I couldn't he happier that I won't have to bleed the things. But I wanted to find out if you all thought I would be taking a dangerous shortcut in not bleeding them...

the only thing that might happen is that bubbles might move around and cause and issue somewhere at some point. Or its also possible that your rear brakes are not working as well as the fronts....but this is all guessing speculation. If they work now just keep an eye on them and maybe you lucked out.

Cutter
05-29-2010, 10:02 AM
I know from my motorcycle side (almost polar opposite of rovers sort of) that brake fluid doesn't like exposure to air, but I think this just affects the fluids ability to withstand high temperatures in braking. I doubt that the drum brakes /rover speeds heat the fluid up the same way as discs, so probably not anything to worry about. It may absorb oxygen creating micro bubbles so long term you might end up getting some squish but seems unlikely you'd get big gaps.

mongoswede
05-29-2010, 07:00 PM
I know from my motorcycle side (almost polar opposite of rovers sort of) that brake fluid doesn't like exposure to air, but I think this just affects the fluids ability to withstand high temperatures in braking. I doubt that the drum brakes /rover speeds heat the fluid up the same way as discs, so probably not anything to worry about. It may absorb oxygen creating micro bubbles so long term you might end up getting some squish but seems unlikely you'd get big gaps.

Yes, brake fluid is hydroscopic meaning that it likes to absorb moisture. If your brake fluid supply is old or has been exposed to air the brake fluid gets contaminated. this could lead to boiling brake fluid around hot brake parts. However given that this is a rover its not likely to ever be an issue. Motorcycles and race cars are where you mostly have to worry about it.

jgkmmoore
05-29-2010, 07:21 PM
If it ain't broke...REALLY...don't fix it. You are Golden.